Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msealeysc

need advice on why lawnmower wont stay running

mseal
10 years ago

Ive had this mower for a couple of seasons and yesterday when i went to start it up, this problem arose out of nowhere. I start it and after a few seconds, the engine dies out.
At first, i thought it needed oil so i refilled it as well as put fresh gas in it. When that didnt work, i removed the plug and cleaned it...was dirty but not terrible.
Then i thought debris got in tank but when i flash a light in, i dont see anything. This is about where my 'knowledge' stops.
Im sure a few will say the carb needs cleaning...why would this problem show up all of a sudden?
And how do i go about correcting it?
I am a novice to this so any help is appreciated thank you.

Comments (10)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Look for a MODEL & TYPE number on the engine.
    That will allow us to determine exactly which engine it is.

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Briggs_And_Stratton/briggsmodelid.html

• baymee
    10 years ago

Since it ran well for so long, the first thing I would check is the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb for water. You'll need a 1/2" socket. With the engine cold, pinch the fuel line from the tank or, better yet, remove all the fuel from the tank. Loosen the bolt from the bottom of the carb and let the fuel drain into a shallow container and look for water in the fuel. It will be under the gas. If you find water, empty the entire tank and remove the fuel bowl. Use compressed air to dry the tank or just let it sit in the sun.

If this is too much to do, drain the fuel tank and loosen the bolt on the bottom of the carb. Get as much fuel out as you can. Leave the bolt loose and put some fresh gas into the tank. Allow a teaspoon or two to drain out of the carb. Tighten the bolt; don't overtighten. Try to start.

If that doesn't work, then you probably have dirt in the main jet. Look at this post for pictures of the various jets. Scroll to the bottom.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg061811009450.html?10

• mseal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill K. - model and serial # in picture
    Baymee - will try that in the morning...at work now
    Thanks to you both.

• ericwi
    10 years ago

The reason that lawnmowers can be hard to start, at the beginning of the season, due to evaporation. When the mower engine was last operated, in the fall of 2012, it was turned off, and put away for the winter. However, there was still some gasoline in the carburetor, and very slowly, over the winter months, most of it evaporated away, leaving residual gunk in the carburetor. The gunk is clogging up some tiny passages in the carburetor, so the gasoline can't get from the tank to the engine. To avoid this, some folks like to disconnect the fuel line and completely drain the carburetor at the end of the mowing season. Since there is no fuel valve at the gas tank, you have to plug the hose somehow and clamp it tightly, or else any gas in the tank will leak out all over the garage floor. Sounds like a hassle, so most people put the mower away exactly as you did last fall.

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

"Bill K. - model and serial # in picture"

There's probably millions of bacteria in the picture too, but I can't see them either.

• tomplum
    10 years ago

I think this is one of these awful plastic carbs. The bowl comes off w/ 2 7mm screws. The large white emulsion tube comes out and gets probed clean. I haven't had much experience on these until this year. 2 had rough spots in the fuel tanks that appeared to be deteriorating.

• mseal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so i opened up the fuel line and that was clean and inside the carb was spotless. Needless to say, i was baffled..... until my kid pulled on the throttle lever at the handle and i noticed the valve inside the carb didnt move.so i started to backtrack and i know its the throttle somewhere.
    Pull the handle and the spring in the picture functions fine but not the valve in the carb. But if i pull the lever just outside of carb the valve works perfectly.
    So, this is why it kept dying after a few seconds...only gas from primer was getting in.
    My question, do i need a whole new throttle setup of is thia an easy fix?

• mseal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so i opened up the fuel line and that was clean and inside the carb was spotless. Needless to say, i was baffled..... until my kid pulled on the throttle lever at the handle and i noticed the valve inside the carb didnt move.so i started to backtrack and i know its the throttle somewhere.
    Pull the handle and the spring in the picture functions fine but not the valve in the carb. But if i pull the lever just outside of carb the valve works perfectly.
    So, this is why it kept dying after a few seconds...only gas from primer was getting in.

{{!gwi}}

• mseal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• baymee
    10 years ago

Your picture is of the blade brake mechanism and isn't related to the carburetor at all. It's probable that you don't have a throttle cable at all.

Take a close up picture of the model number and the carb. I still think it's the carb.