Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
craftsman mower starts, then immediately dies

Posted by joannelj (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 12:52

I have a Craftsman 917.377842 with a Honda engine (GCV190A-S3A.) I used it a few weeks ago, and when it ran out of gas, I left it outside, since it was not supposed to rain, and I was going to finish mowing the next day. When I tried to mow the next day, the mower would start, and then immediately die.

I am not a mechanic, but I'm a relatively intelligent person, so I think I could fix it with some guidance. I would just take it to a repair shop, but they all have a 2 week wait! If I wait that long, my lawn will be ready for haying...

So, after reading and researching online, I've tried a few things, with no success.
It has fuel.
The fuel cap vent is clean.
I drained the gas from the bottom of the carb, in case there was water in it.

I know the next step is probably to remove the carb and clean it, but I'm not ready to try this without some guidance. I've looked online for a service manual. but couldn't find one.

Any help?

Thanks,
JoAnne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: craftsman mower starts, then immediately dies

Did you possibly turn the fuel shut off valve?

o

No, I didn't. But just to be sure, I've tried it in both directions(it's not labeled well.) But when it's off, the thing doesn't start at all, and when it's on, it always starts, and then immediately dies.

Thanks,
joanne

o

Hey Joanne,

I am having the same issue, just to check, did you figure it out yet?

Lex

o

No luck yet. I guess I'll try some gas additive, although I don't know if that will help now that the thing isn't running. The shop I called today says it will be 3 weeks before I could get it fixed! That puts a real damper on my 4th of July party...

Let me know if you have any luck. Do you have the same model?

:)
joanne

o

Did you try changing the spark plug?
Jim

o

The spark plug fixed it! Yay! I don't know why I didn't check that first thing. Everything I read indicated the carb, so I just skipped over that step. Thanks for reminding me. (Although I'm sure the carb cleaner I added to the gas didn't hurt, either.)

Thanks,
JoAnne

o

I have the same problem. Where do you put the carb cleaner?
Hubby did the same thing- ran mower out of gas. However, then he changed the spark plug and air filter and sprayed canned air. Now there is no spark. He thinks he's sprayed dirt into something. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here