Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
showet

What is uneven ground for a zero turn?

showet
9 years ago

I hear a lot of talk about zero turns not being good for uneven ground but no explanation of what uneven ground is. I have places where the ground is sloped next to my drive or in a couple of localized areas so I am trying to determine if this means if I buy a ZTM I would not be able to mow those areas and consequently add to my work by requiring me to mow those spots by other means. Can the ZTM not mow sloped areas, not mow them well, or does the user just need to mow them carefully? These spots are not hills, just a slope next to the drive for water drainage but the slope can be significant and my drive is 600 feet long.

Comments (5)

• hippy
    9 years ago

Most of the talk is about the way the Z turns ride. most of the best selling models from, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, eXmark, John Deere, Husqvarna, Kubota etc etc have a solid frame design. Meaning that all four tires are mounted solid to the frame. Such designs can and will put a hurting on your back.. People who over paid for the Z turn they have will swear it is the best riding machine in the world. But not good for uneven ground. They wont tell you why.. Well the truth is the thing will beat you to death when you try to operate it at a speed that it is designed to be operated at.

Gravely has a Z260 line of mowers that have a floating front axle that pivots. They do not ride as rough as a solid frame mower.

Ferris Z-turns have 4 wheel independent suspension and are the smoothest riding mowers I have been on.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Most of the talk is about the way the Z turns ride. most of the best selling models from, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, eXmark, John Deere, Husqvarna, Kubota etc etc have a solid frame design. Meaning that all four tires are mounted solid to the frame. Such designs can and will put a hurting on your back.. People who over paid for the Z turn they have will swear it is the best riding machine in the world. But not good for uneven ground. They wont tell you why.. Well the truth is the thing will beat you to death when you try to operate it at a speed that it is designed to be operated at.

Gravely has a Z260 line of mowers that have a floating front axle that pivots. They do not ride as rough as a solid frame mower.

Ferris Z-turns have 4 wheel independent suspension and are the smoothest riding mowers I have been on.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

It is difficult to explain without actually seeing your land. If i personally walked your property i could point out trouble areas...
    Why it is important to seek and purchase from a local dealer and a recommended brand in your area. My dealer did a site visit and very generous but lives nearby...My farm entrance drive is compacted rock/clay...grass side, middle, side, with obvious tire track low points...and an incline. Not steep but not a comfortable mow.
    I do it anyway but i also have a reliable bush hog i've had for years that takes care of these rough spots and trails i bush hog in the upper fields that are rough.

I was a bit hesitant to tackle a few rolling hills but take it up and around, then down slow...no problems after a few hours learning curve.

• rcmoser
    9 years ago

Agree just have to slow down. rough ground not as noticeable on LT cause your going slower. I would like to have the Ferris Zs, maybe if I don't move it will be my next one?

• Clay45
    9 years ago

My Scag Tiger Cat does pretty well on uneven ground and the seat makes something a little rougher than a lawn comfortable. But I move faster than I ever did on a lawn tractor so a bunch of mole runs crossways at top speed is pretty bumpy. My neighbor just acquired a Scag Cheetah with a nice suspension seat that is smoother. But if I slow down to the speeds I used to run a lawn tractor the ride is as smooth or better. I like the staggered wheel arangement on my Tiger Cat when negotiating depressions or ruts and it does pretty doggone good on hills and gulleys too, much more so than I would have attempted on a tractor. I find I do eat more dust on my zero turn for some reason but then I seem to get that no matter what I'm running.