Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seakaye12

Welch Plug Question Tecumseh Diaphragm Carburetor

seakaye12
11 years ago

Hi,

In the rebuild of a Tecumseh diaphragm carb I see that the kit contains 2 welch plugs of the size that fit the chambers for the High and Slow speed needles.

However; this carburetor had only one of the chambers plugged; the other was open.

The diagram for the carb seems to show only one welch plug used.

Should I install a welch plug in both openings? See picture and diagram....

Thank You for your time!

{{gwi:131605}}

Comments (5)

• baymee
    11 years ago

New one on me.

• seakaye12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hehe,,,,well baymee; we all learn something every day; eh?

So; what do you mean? New one to see the one cavity open...or New One to hear of someone closing it with a plug?

Chuck

• baymee
    11 years ago

I've never had to rebuild one, so I don't know if a plug should be there or not. Usually something that is jetted would have a plug or why use a jet? But with the diaphragm, maybe they don't use a plug.

If you have this carb since new, you would find the plug in the bottom cover after it fell out. Why are you rebuilding it? and how well did it run before you pulled the cover?

• seakaye12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

baymee....

The entire machine (chipper) was given to me in pieces. I re-worked the ignition and found that the carb was plugged; the diaphragm toasty.

I put a new needle and seat in; along with the diaphragm and got it running...but certainly not well.

I did more reading and pulled it apart again. That's when I noticed the missing plug.

I'm beginning to think that it does not use a plug there in this application; primarily becausse it did not initially have one...and because the diagram of the carb looks to show only one.

I just found this cut-away diagram this morning. Look at it; it seems to show only one plug with the other cavity opening to the fuel side of the diaphragm.

It also shows a ball valve up under the existing welch plug. I think I'll pull it apart again and remove that plug and try cleaning the ball valve. Maybe that's the problem....

I was hoping that someone on here really knows this carburetor. We'll see.

Comments anyone?

Here's the cut-away:

{{gwi:131606}}

• baymee
    11 years ago

I've worked on hundreds of standard bowl carbs and one thing I've found out is that soaking a carb and then using spray carb cleaner with an air gun to clean out the passages.....works.

Sometimes I cheat with plain carb cleaner in a spray can, but most often it doesn't work well on varnished carbs.