Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiefsfan_gw

Am I crazy for wanting a 2 stroke????

chiefsfan
13 years ago

Hey all, I ran across a Lawn Boy:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/gms/1770819551.html

I have a Honda Harmony which I love but for some reason I want one of these!

I remember having a John Deere that had a 2 cycle and I guess I miss it. What do I look for? I do know where a Dura Force is too.

Kelly

Comments (20)

• orangedotfever
    13 years ago

Lawnboy 2 cycles have quite a following and parts are still available for the models of 1978 and up (except for the M series). It's hard to go wrong with them if you don't mind tinkering with them once in a while.

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

For the true LB experience, you cannot beat a pre-Duraforce mower with under-deck exhaust. The combination of the Lawn-Boy oil smell with grass toasted on the muffler is the ultimate - plus you get that incredible muted 'outboard' sound. The cheapest way to get all this is with a 'V'-engined mower (10201, 10301), but these were 'value' leaders with steel deck and somewhat questionable design/build. I would want a 'Gold Pro' like a 10515 for example with aluminum deck and 'F' engine. The 'F' was the best and most prolific LB engine of the pre-Toro era and was made under Toro until they rolled out the 'Duraforce'. The 'Duraforce' is no doubt the 'big Daddy Rabbit with the fuzzy tongue' of LB 2-cycle engines and would be perfect except it has above-deck exhaust. If that doesn't bother you, go for it. They really don't have the classic aroma or sound, but they are incredible engines.
    Whatever LB you're looking at, go to the Toro site and find the parts finder. Enter the model number to get the info on year, engine and parts numbers along with drawings.
    Oh yeah - don't forget to use genuine LB oil - no other has the same aroma. It's great on Saturday morning to fire one up and start mowing. Believe it or not, some guys actually add a little more oil to the mix for more tantalizing smoke, which drives the neighbors wild on several levels. Plus, they'll come over and gawk, asking questions like 'What'd you do, put a chain saw motor on a lawnmower?'
    I looked at the mower after I added the link to it, and I believe you have a Gold Pro with 'F' engine there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Linky

• chiefsfan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ahh, the smell I remember, I just e-mailed them to see which model it is. Now where to store it. LOL!

Kelly

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

I don't think your'e crazy, but you may be letting nostalgia get the better of you.
    I have a Lawn Boy 10420. It is a 1994 Gold Series push mower and is considered one of LB's best efforts. I have long since gone to 4-stroke self-propelled mowers, as I don't like pushing an 100lb. mower (with full grass catcher) much anymore, but keep the LB as a backup. I would't really miss it that much if I didn't have it.
    The 2 things I don't like about my LB is the level of vibration which I think is typical of all 2-strokes and difficulty starting after sitting a while. My mower has no primer bulb and getting the right mixture into the cylinder on a cold start without flooding it, is problematic.
    However, for the amount of money involved, if you want one go for it. It's a lot cheaper way to solve a nostalgia craving than buying a '55 Chevy.

• chiefsfan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That could be. Who knows. I do love my Honda so it may be a passing urge. Maybe a 2 stroke snow blower instead. LOL!

I am trying to remember what year that John Deere was. Pretty sure it was a Lawn Boy 2 stroke engine.

Kelly

• canguy
    13 years ago

Hey man, I love 2 strokes. Simple, easy to maintain, and that uneven idle rows my boat.

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

'and that uneven idle rows my boat'

We call it 'the burble'. I have to admit, I got rid of my 2-cycle LBs, but I never had a Gold Series 'F'. I had a 10201 (V) and a 10550 (Duraforce) with 'Easy Stride' (Toro Personal Pace). I still run only Lawn-Boy, but now its 4-cycles - a 10684 (Tecumseh) and a 22271 (Honda commercial 190cc OHC). If I stumbled into a Gold 'F', I'd really have to think about getting it just for grins.
    {{gwi:126956}}

• rdaystrom
    13 years ago

If you get one make sure you spend enough to get it going right. Sometimes people buy a mower that had previously unresolved problems. Many times that could be why it was sold or traded. So, get it going right and if it needs a coil or some other parts just do it and you will not regret it later. Generally I like to get a Lawn-Boy, clean the carb and the fuel tank, replace the fuel line, install an inline filter and shutoff, replace the air filter, spark plug, and put a new blade on it. Lube up the wheels and wheel adjusters and tighten things up. I recently got one of mine out that had been sitting for the entire fall and winter. It started on the first pull. Love that sound....
    Saxman, you are an enigma. You should keep a 2-cycle Lawn-Boy around just for conversation if nothing else. Besides your two current mowers need to know their historical background.

• roadbike
    13 years ago

The answer really depends on why you want the mower. Some people like 2 stroke engines for their sound, for their history, because they like fiddling with them, etc. If you fit that mold and you are not buying someone elses bundle of deferred maintenance then go for it. If you are simply looking for another reliable mower then go for something newer with a 4 stroke engine.

• shaggnasty
    13 years ago

Yes, the smell was great...

when I could get it started.

I gave up Lawn Boy years ago because of them being generally finicky. But I would like to have an old one now for nostalgic reasons, not one to use all the time. The sound and the smell are forever imprinted in my brain.

• indy452
    13 years ago

Maybe you JD you had looked like this one I got on craigs..
    It has a Lawnboy "F" series engine and mows great if you want to side discharge...

{{gwi:131691}}

{{gwi:131692}}

• andyma_gw
    13 years ago

3 yrs ago, I picked up a 79 LB 7073 from craigslist free stuff. I use it as a trimmer and love the burble . I add MMO to the fuel and it smells great.

• chiefsfan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not quite but close! That brings back memories.
    I got the model number of that LB it is a 8243. Hopefully I can get out there to check it out. I have to work Saturday.....

Kelly

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Indy 452: Now that's a JD Lawnmower ! Love the Steel Hubs and Solid Rubber Tires they don't build them like that anymore..Cool ! I only have owned one 2-Stroke lawnmower a Lawn-boy 1985 ran Klotz R or Wynn's Oil now that really smelled cool , remember my neighbour always commenting on the perfume odour lol !

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

'I add MMO to the fuel '

They love MMO! One guy years ago said he was preparing his LB for the winter and ran it out of gas. He put MMO into the tank and pulled the starter to get some of it into the engine - and it started! 'Started' might be a rather loose description, but it did actually get combustion, puffing a few times and blowing quite a fog. So he accomplished exactly what he wanted in a most unexpected way.
    I think what actually happened is there is always some gas left in the fuel bowl when you run it out of gas. The MMO mixed with that and got the level high enough to be picked up, hence the 'starting'. I don't think one will actually get combustion on pure MMO, but there is nothing better for your OPE.

• chiefsfan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That JD I had was self propelled rear drive,and did not have a tank like that. I need to look on craigslist for a JD as well as a LB. Hopefully that LB is still there, I just got home.

• ecox8358
    10 years ago

I have a 20" rear discharge LawnBoy two cycle mower that I have had for 28 years. Still starts first pull every time. I also have a side discharge attachment and the original instructions. I am still using the original bag that is in good condition. I would like to sell the mower to a good home. It has been in the shop only once for a pinched fuel line which was replaced. New wheels three years ago and a new starting rope eight years ago. Pictures on request. Pick up or pre pay shipping. $150.00 firm. Cell 817-734-7442. First come first served. Fort Worth, Tx

• phototone
    10 years ago

It was mentioned above that DuraForce engined Lawnboys had above-deck mufflers. This is not entirely true..The 6.5hp DuraForce has above-deck muffler, whereas the 4.5hp DuraForce has the under-deck muffler. I actually prefer the smaller engine, of the two. Lighter, yet still plenty of cutting power even in the self-propelled models.

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

There was no 4.5HP Duraforce. The Toro/Lawn-Boy engine prior to the Duraforce was the 'V' engine (Value). They did have below-deck muffler.

• Matthew Derickson
    8 years ago

indy452(NC Kansas) Would you be willing to sell this John Deere push mower?