Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zod1214

Low RPMs

zod1214
11 years ago

I have a Murray push lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton 300 series engine. The numbers off of the mower are:

Model - 9T602

Type - 5019 B1

Code - 11082952.

The mower is only about a month and a half old. It has always started fine but since last week, it doesn't sound like it is running full throttle. It is also puffing a small amount of black smoke. I thought the problem might be a dirty air filter so I inspected it. It looked clean, but I decided to be sure so I soaked it in warm soapy water, rinsed it off, and put a little bit of oil on it once it was completely dried. When I placed it back on the mower, It ran great for a few seconds then the RPMs went down again. If I run the mower without the air filter installed it does run a lot closer to what the "normal" sound was, but as soon as I put the air filter back on it bogs down again. Today, after some internet searching, I decided it may be a dirty carburetor. I inspected it and found it to be clean, with no blockages in sight. All of the signs seem to point to one of these two pieces, and since there is black smoke involved I read that is a sign of the carburetor burning too rich. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated as I have only used this mower 4 times.

Comments (5)