Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jos14h

Toro super bagger 20192 vs super recycler

jos14h
12 years ago

I am in the process of purchasing a new toro. I really like the honda engine in the super bagger but I am concerned that it won't mulch as well as the super recycler since it does not have the baffles under the deck.

Does anyone have a super bagger (model 20192) 2011 model and if so,does it mulch well?

Comments (12)

• roadbike
    12 years ago

What is so exciting about the Honda engine on the Super Bagger? It will turn the blade and wheels just as well as a Briggs engine. Remember you are buying a lawn mower not a motorcycle. The Super Recycler will both bag and mulch exceptionally well.

• gorper99
    12 years ago

Super Recycler!

• jos14h
    Original Author
    12 years ago

But will the super bagger mulch as well?

I know I am not buying a motorcycle but I have had bad luck with B&S engines.

• roadbike
    12 years ago

If you had bad luck with Briggs engines then I can promise bad luck with Honda engines too. Both companies have a reputation for delivering engines that are long lived if regular maintenance is performed. They will all dies a short death if maintenance is deferred. Toro has a reputation for making well designed mowers that perform as described. If they are both described by Toro as being mulching mowers then I would expect comparable mulching performance.

• tarheelman
    12 years ago

I agree with roadbike. No matter who an engine's manufacturer is, the engine will have a short life if regular maintenance isn't performed.

I've owned a Super Recycler 20092 for two years. During this time, the oil has been changed regularly and the air filter has been replaced when it gets dirty. Not surprisingly, although it's not the most technically sophisticated mower engine on the market, the Briggs engine nevertheless has performed well and hasn't given me any trouble.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

Yes, the Super Bagger mulches fine. It is the same deck used on the 2007 Lawn-Boy 22271 Commercial and the current Toro 22156 Commercial w/Honda engine. It performs fine in all three modes. My version is the LB 22271. I have noticed that it holds the clippings in the housing longer than some others (actually good for re-cutting them) but this can produce a clump at stops/turnarounds. I cut a three-strip wide header all around the mowing area first. This gives the mower time to digest the clippings before coming to a stop/turnaround. I've never had a Super Recycler so I can't say if one would do the same thing on my yard. I can say that the Honda engine runs quieter and smoother than any non-OHC mower engine, and it helps make mowing a little more enjoyable.

• jos14h
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Saxman,

What kind of blade do you use?

I will be doing mostly mulching.

Can I use a gator blade on this model?

Thanks,

JM

• roadbike
    12 years ago

Exactly what problem are you trying to "fix" by adding an after-market blade to the Toro Super Recycler? You may very well find that any added turbulence actually cuts down on it's ability to process cut grass.

Gator and other after market blades are designed to help mowers that were not properly designed for the purpose at hand.

• jos14h
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wondering if the "bagger blade" it comes with is any different than the "atomic" blade or a gator blade.

• roadbike
    12 years ago

Well, I'm sure it's different. But the question to be answered is whether it will improve mower performance. I deoubt it and think there is a good chance it may degrade it. Just use the machine as built at the factory.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

It comes with the 'Atomic' blade. The only blade difference I've seen on this series starting with the Lawn-Boy 10684 'Insight' through the Toro Super Bagger is the blade on the LB 22271 did not have the 'mulching cuts' in the blade airfoils. It still mulches fine and all those blades are interchangeable. I have two mowers that use that blade and I rotate five blades between them. No, I would not buy a new mower with the idea of putting in an aftermarket blade right off the bat. There simply is no need for it and no generic blade is made exactly like the factory equipment.

• jos14h
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies!

JM