Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 31cc 17in Weedwacker MDL# 316-798221

Posted by stonkey NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 15:19

I'm trying to replace the string in my weedwacker, but I can't seem to figure out how to dis-assemble the canister with the string in it. it is a plastic canister with a bump feed. I got it used with no manual, and Sears has not been helpful. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 31cc 17in Weedwacker MDL# 316-798221

Usually you unscrew the bump knob and remove the spool.

o

That does not seem to work with this one. That was the first thing I tried, and the knob did not seem to un-screw.

o

On mine, you just pull it straight off, there is a metal clip that holds the bump part in.

o

Push the button in, then pull it off. You may have some little lines to line up. In that case, line them up, push in, and pull out. You then remove the spool and either rewind it with your own string or insert a prewound spool. You may need to spary the spring inside with a little WD400-makes the wacker work better, and makes it easier to get the spool off next time you need to.

o

I have tried to take apart the spool as well and have not had any luck either. I am about to go out and purchase another weedwacker extension...but would rather just find out how to replace the string on this one!! Anyone have a diagram of it??

Rob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here