Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low oil, runs a second or two then dies

Posted by inneedofrepair none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 17:31

I am working on a walk-behind mower with a Tecumseh engine. The mower will start with starter fluid and run strong for two seconds and then die. I cleaned the carb and replaced the primer bulb. Same problem.

The owner had run it nearly out of oil. It took 16 oz. to get it back to full.

I am wondering if I should keep looking for a carb problem or if the low oil ruined the engine. I am not sure if a ruined engine would even start at all. It runs good and strong for the two seconds that it runs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low oil, runs a second or two then dies

Most likely just looking at a carburetor problem. If the engine was trashed due to no oil, it would not run on starter fluid or you would hear the rod bearings knocking. This is not to say the engine didn't suffer some damage from the low oil, but it is probably not totally destroyed.

These little engines are pretty tolerant to very low oil/dirty oil conditions. Just a few ounces splashing around will keep them alive. (not happy, but alive)

good luck!

o

Yes, it sounds like fuel starvation. Since it only runs for a moment on starter fluid I would clean the fuel system from the tank forward. Was the gas in the tank replaced?

o

Neighbor's Yardman mower with a Tecumseh engine on it, same issue. He admitted he hadn't checked the oil for 3 years. I helped him fix the plastic shroud over the engine and then he asked me to check the oil. The dipstick was dry. I added a lot of oil before it was full. She started right up and ran good. I advised him to not bother changing the oil as it was pretty much all new :).

o

On the Tecumseh, clean the orifices in the brass bolt holding the fuel bowl on. Pay particular attention to the tiny one near the end that is on a slant. Clean the paper off a wire tie and use it to rod it out. Finish by blasting with carb spray. If you don't use stabilizer and/or other cleaners/additives you can expect to do this about every year.

o

Thanks for all the tips. The mower runs fine now after I cleaned up the carb again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here