Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustyj14

Lawn mower throttle:

rustyj14
12 years ago

A man brought me an older lawn mower with the 6-7 h.p. briggs engine on it. The kind with no throttle cable----although that one had a throttle cable---brand new, and a control handle on the handle bars. It did not control the throttle! The other end of the cable was just sliding thru the handle, but didn't do anything, except for the owner to call me and tell me i didn't know my job! GRRR!

There is a metal tab above the air filter cover, and the cable was hooked to that. HMMM!

So, he's bringing it back this evening, to have his brand new throttle cable reinstalled--the "do-nothing cable!"

So, we'll see! If i can't make him happy, he'll get a refund and goodby from me!

Comments (6)

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

What did you charge him for if you didn't do anything?

• roadbike
    12 years ago

I'm confused. He brought you a mower to have some unspecified work performed. What did he ask you to do? Was the cable already on the mower but just not hooked up? Unless he asked you to connect the cable that sounds like mis-communication when the mower was taken in.

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The machine was brought in by a mutual friend, although i had never met the owner. The air filter was plugged solid, so i replaced it. The general condition of the whole thing, and the apparent age of it, didn't inspire me with any ideas of good treatment.
    An aftermarket throttle handle was installed on the handle-bars, not tight, just flopping around. The owner installed throttle cable was 12 inches too long, and was NOT connected to the throttle lever! The cable end was not hooked into the lever of the throttle handle. Just slid over it, but not hooked by the normal flat z end on the cable. (You must have experience with those cables, to understand what i mean by the description of the upper end of the cable configuration. (Try to explain, to those who are ignorant of what i am describing, in laymans language, and because i never was told what that bend/hook on the end of the cable was called!)
    Any way, i found a good cable of the correct length, installed it, along with a better control handle, and now the cable stays in the eye of the handle, and stays connected to the throttle lever, which i couldn't see, because it had been bent down to a perpendicular position, above and behind the air filter assembly!
    Is that enough information for you nit-pickers to chew on tonight? SHEESH! Rustyj

• arceeguy
    12 years ago

Sounds to me like the guy had a mower with a fixed speed engine, and wanted to add a throttle control to it and couldn't figure it out on his own. Many of the fixed speed tecumseh and briggs engines have no provisions for an external throttle cable. To add this feature, you'd need the mechanism from a engine of the same series that had a provision for a throttle control.

Seems to me that you did your job by performing the maintenance it (sorely) needed and getting it up and running.

Too bad you can't slap on the old air filter and put old oil back in the crankcase!

• rustyj14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, we got it all figured out yesterday. After i bent the throttle lever back into place, and installed a different cable, that worked, he was satisfied. He didn't know how the throttle lever got bent down to a hiding position. I think it was caused by somebody who knew nothing much about those older models. (not me!)

• arceeguy
    12 years ago

Glad you got it all sorted out!