Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnuch

echo trimmer leaking fuel through muffler

johnuch
15 years ago

brand new carb...wont start...but seems to be leaking at muffler........any help very appreciated...when i try to start fuel spits out of exaust or muffler area.........thx

Comments (15)

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

Flooding; too much fuel getting in engine. Usually, 2-cycles are hard to flood out - they like 'wet' starts. Maybe there is a fault with the ignition? Bad plug, bad coil or wire? Check how many turns out the two needle valves are - set them at 1.5 turns out and see if it helps.

• otterhead
    15 years ago

My srm 210 runs about 25 minutes every other week on average and has always puked fuel/oil crap a little bit out of the muffler area. Probably because I over prime and probably because of short, low-load run times.

Took it to a relative's place that needed some serious cleanup and ran it HARD for 4 hours. No puking.

I also run my mix at about 32:1, syn blend. The same batch feeds a chainsaw, a lawn-boy and the trimmer.

• nevada_walrus
    15 years ago

Majority of the time there is fuel puking out the exhaust its from back pressure due to a clogged spark arrester. It also causes a loss of power. Pull the arrester screen out of the muffler and clean it.

• johnuch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

as an experiment i have screen off....still the same...interesting "otter" i always used my lawnboy 32:1 mix....this year i tried the echo 50:1 should still work though...hmm

• canlawn
    15 years ago

Do you find that the trimmer smokes alot with the 32:1 mix ? I run a 50:1 mix echo oil for my SRM210 and LB oil 32:1 for my 10424. If I can run the 32:1 in the trimmer as well it would be a bonus.. Mark

• otterhead
    15 years ago

Define 2-stroke smoking too much......

I'll tell you this much, I can smell it when it's running and it keeps the bugs away, but there's not an obvious cloud of smoke.

The reason I'm using 32:1 at present is that I'm breaking in a Solo chainsaw and the mfg recommends 25:1 on the first five tanks of fuel and then 25:1 if using any oil other than castrol super TT. As the echo is a synthetic blend, I've decided that 32:1 is a good compromise for now.

My next 5 Litres of mix will be 40:1 for everything, should keep the echo from fouling and keep the solo and the LB 10247 happy.

• johnuch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

looks like i finally got the trimmer to work....i guess i flooded it trying to start...have to adjust idle up though...wont stay at idle.....the other thing im trying to figure out how to stop the head from turning at idle...............

• jsouth3
    15 years ago

Turn your idle speed screw counter clockwise about 1/8 of a turn at a time,until the head stops.Hope this helps.

Jerry

• weed_cutter
    15 years ago

You may have to adjust the low speed jet, could be either rich or lean. If the engine stalls or hesitates when going from idle it full speed it's lean.

Of course I just made the assumption that the jets are adjustable.

• Rusteeee
    11 years ago

my echo hand held blower siphons the fuel out of the tank and hyrolocks the piston. the first time it happened it sheared the flywheel key. the unit was repaired and it still siphons fuel unless stored with the blower nozzle straight up in the air. What causes it to continuously siphon fuel until the tank is empty and the cylinder full of fuel. It is quite frustrating and I am afraid it is my last echo product!!!!!!

• ewalk
    11 years ago

Apparently the inlet needle valve within you carb is not closing causing fuel to flood your unit. Usually a small amount of debris or varnish can cause the valve not to seat completely . Removal of the carb base and diaphram will indicate if the needle valve is free and clear. Additional use of fuel cleaner or conditioner will prevent this in the future.

• Brandon Smith
    11 years ago

Here is how I adjust the engine idle.

Start the engine and allow it 5 minutes to warm up. Then raise the idle till the head spins, finally turn the adjustment 1/4 turn back and you should be good to go.

• tierneyz
    6 years ago

You should find a crack in the line where the inlet draws fuel to the carb , the return line some how lifts the needle valve due to pressure in the tank when not in use

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

Hehe sweet. My echo trimmer uses a 58v battery.