Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are motors interchangeable among decks?

Posted by john703 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 07 at 19:59

Can I put, say, a 300 or 500 series Briggs on a fifteen year old Lawn boy deck?--Does anyone know? Can a mower deck, in general, fit many different motors, or just the one it came with? The Lawnboy I have smokes very badly, but it's a great deck. Aluminum. Very good shape. Was wondering if I could just go buy a $100 dollar mower at Walmart with Briggs on it and install it on the Lawnboy deck. I'm sure the answer is no, but thought I'd check. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are motors interchangeable among decks?

I'm not sure about Lawn boys, but most any other make of push or self-propelled lawn mower deck is now drilled for most engines. By that i mean you might have to replace an engine that has the spark plug at the front, and another engine might have it at the back, which is done by turning the engine a half turn around. Some of the controls necessitate turning the engine to hook them up! And the later decks have six mounting holes. Take yer pick!

o

The deck bolt patterns are pretty standard, it seems. The key things you need to match up are the crankshaft length and diameter, and the control locations (or fabricate new cable lengths and ends). Given that Lawnboy put Tecumseh flatheads on a lot of staggered-wheel decks, I'd start my search there. Those engines should be easy enough to find cheap.

o

John, which model LB do you have? Is it a 4-cycle or 2-cycle? What engine is it?

o

"The deck bolt patterns are pretty standard, it seems."

Not so IF the original LB was a "real" Lawn Boy, a 2 stroker.

Walt Conner

o

Thanks for responses everyone. Saxman1 and Walt2002: it's the "real" 2 stroke. 19" 4 hp S19ZPM. Serial L080C0086. Thanks.

o

I think you will find that the opening in the aluminum deck LBs is too large for the bolt pattern of 4 stroke engines. You might be able to rig an adapter plate, never had any desire to try that, don't know about your shaft length.

Walt Conner

o

Well heck. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. (The trouble of figuring it out, if nothing else). Thanks for your help everybody.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here