Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff927

John Deere SX75 will not run ,, PLease help !!

jeff927
15 years ago

I have a 1988 John Deere SX75 with a Kawasaki 9 hp engine ! It would not start it cranks fine , but had no spark ! I replaced the coil , the spark plug , both with no effect , then I replaced the igniter & it started and ran for 20 minutes , then quit , it would only run in neutral for some reason , (which I think that is what the actual problem is !! The ignition curcuit is always grounded ! I have tried removing the ignition switch and running jumper wires to power the mower and then crank it , but something is keeping the ignition wire grounded !!

I will appreciated any guidance or help any one has to offer ! I worked as a mechanic for 25 years , but this machine is kicking my tush !!

Thank you ,

Jeff

Comments (12)

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago

Have you pulled the shroud off the engine to make sure the wire isn't grounded there? (mice)

• jeff927
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes I have done that and replaced the coil actually !! The wire runing to the igniter shows grounded & I am wondering if it should ?? I have removed the key switch from the circuit and hard wired around it with jumpers , no effect !! Could it have eaten an igniter so fast ??
    Thank you ,

• bill_kapaun
    15 years ago
  • jeff927
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The old one tested bad and I will test the new one later today ! I am going to unplug the wire running from the igniter to the ignition @ the engine (& leave it connected to the coil and see if it rus in that configuration) I am very suspicious that the pto switch is grounded out , something is grounding the igniter , I have eliminated the seat switch from the circuit , isolated the ignition switch , In looking at the wiring diagram I am ver suspicious of a bad pto switch !! It seems to be the only thing that could be providing a constant ground .
    EEEEEEEEE this machine is making me crazy !!
    Thank you and I will continue the battle ,
    Jeff

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

In the Tri-county area around Pittsburg, Pa, John Deere has closewd all of the little dealers, and now, if we need parts, we must drive 35 miles, or more, to one of the new JD shops, way out in the country!
    I guess some college educated nit-wit made a study of things, and decided that JD is farm tractors and equipment, and to heck with lawn mower owners!

• steve70
    15 years ago

I purchase a 1988 SX75, and I think I'm having the same problem you did. It only runs in neutral. When you put it in gear, it stops running. I saw your reference to a website listing part #440465 ignition module. I assume this is what fixed your problem? Would you also be willing to share the wiring diagram from the manual?
    I appreciate any help you can give me.
    Thank you.

• culvers21
    14 years ago

I am having the same trouble with my sx75 and am planning on getting a new igniter. The only thing is the igniter you have listed here is not the same as the one i have. Mine only has one wire outlet and your has two. Also i noticed on the the stens website it is for non batery operated machines. Does this mean its a pull start tractor. Just wondering where i can get an aftermarket igniter for my john deere sx75 that only has one wire jack coming out of it instead of two. Maybe it doesn't matter. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

andycypher@hotmail.com

• page-2009
    14 years ago

I purchase a 1988 SX75, and I think I'm having the same problem you did. It only runs in neutral. When you put it in gear, it stops running. I saw your reference to a website listing part #440465 ignition module. I assume this is what fixed your problem? Would you also be willing to share the wiring diagram from the manual?
    I appreciate any help you can give me.
    Thank you. rpagerie@aol.com

• tomplum
    14 years ago

Page- yours sounds like a defective seat switch to me.

• rad_ranger
    3 years ago

well its 2020 and I’m having the same problem 😂 as everyone else. I will have it taken care of soon. Hey Jeff927 still using that manual?

my email is

kikasspunch@gmail.com

thanks for the info all,

chris

• john snarich
    3 years ago

If you have no spark and are at wits end pull kill wire, then run a wire direct from igniter to the kill connection on magneto this bypasses everything, now if you have no spark it’s either the igniter our magneto. I was stumped but for some reason on my John Deere RX95 Kawasaki FB460V without the wire to igniter it has no spark