Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overfilled oil

Posted by jtyrie Z7%2B DFW (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 21:09

When I changed the oil on my edger this spring, I accidently overfilled the crank case. It is a 3.5 HP Briggs vert shaft.
When I started it, it smoked heavily. It ran for less than a minute that way. I discovered what I had done and corrected the oil level. Now, when it starts, it smokes heavily for about 15 seconds. It still starts real easily and runs fine. It doesn't smoke after the initial startup. What do you think I have done? It is time for oversized rings? If so, why does it only smoke when it starts? The motor itself is 5 years old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overfilled oil

You might look in the air cleaner housing for some residual oil that's dripping into the carb or an "oiled up" air cleaner element.
The rest should just burn itself out.

A teaspoon of oil can produce a LOT of smoke.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here