Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toro Lawnmower when Blade Clutch engaged Engine stopped

Posted by rolm (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 21:23

Toro Lawnmower when Blade Clutch engaged Engine stopped when I pulled to restart no compression, This is model 20465 Serial 5917434 I believe it's a 1995 machine. I removed the OHV cover I pulled on the cord and non of the valves were moving. I pushed each valve by hand and they were not seized. Best I can gather is the cam is not turning. The engine is not making any noises when I pull the cord so I am assuming the crank is not broken. The engine is a 5.5 hp is this a B&S engine or. Please see link with view of engine.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/toro-2 ... 27946.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toro Lawnmower when Blade Clutch engaged Engine stopped

Suzuki

o

Its Toast! Throw it away and buy a new one! Set old one on curb--it will disappear in 3 minutes!

o

I was just abought to trash the engine, for some reason I tipped the mower on it's side (oil side) and when I placed it on it's normal state I noticed I had compression when I pulled it, at this point the engine started ran for a few seconds, Next I removed the carb bowl cleaned out the junk and cleaned the jet. The mower started and ran for a few seconds, next time I pulled it no compression. I checked the oil level it was half on the dip stick I topped the oil up. Still no compression. So what gives here???????? I hate to throw out a working engine. Is there and oil pump on this engine that may be connected to the cam shaft that may be working as a low oil shut off??????? I believe the engine is a Suzuki

o

I am guessing that tipping the mower on the wrong side floods the cylinder with the oil in the sump. This helps the rings seal and gives enough compression to run. Try tipping the mower and starting it.

o

A 95 would be a Briggs. Sorry for the misinformation. Andyma could be right on, but you may want to remove the rocker cover to get a feel of valve action etc. Loose valve seat?

o

Sounds like you may have a valve sticking open. That would explain the loss of compression. May want to pull the head and verify both valves are opening and closing....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here