Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigred03

Bobcat ZT Mower Electrical Problems

bigred03
14 years ago

After mowing for a good hour the mower will shut off. When I try to start it back nothing happens or it just clicks. But you can jump it off. After I put the battery on charge it's fine but only lasts for a another hour or so. It is a brand new battery also. Please Help.

Comments (15)

• orangedotfever
    14 years ago

Sounds like you charging system isn't working. Put a volt meter on the battery with the engine running. If you aren't getting at least 13 volts, you're not charging the battery.

• hoggie68fj
    13 years ago

im having the same problem did you figure it out?

• rayslandscape_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My bobcat zero turn is doing the same thing, runs for half hour and stops, battery is dead, what parts do i need to correct this charging problem?

Ray

• d007
    11 years ago

charging problem bobcat zt when blades are engaged volts drop and mower blades stop and sometime entire mower quits any suggestion.When restarted no blades going it will start and run for 1/2 to an hour and then same thing happens. I replaced harness, battery and rectifier but it did not help. all major system reading's ok as spec suggest what should i pull apart next. or should i get the gun out for it or me?

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Wow I havent owned a bobcat zt in years. Mine had this same issue turned out to be the voltage regulator. I agree with "orangedotfever" it is a charging system problem probly the same problem I had.

The following usefull link is for a new holland (ford) tractor but it is the same principle.. Hope it helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Tractor Electrical Diagnosis Manual

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Since the charging system is basically part of the ENGINE, knowing WHAT engine was on it would be a big help in troubleshooting.
    Brand -Model- Type/spec etc.

• d007
    11 years ago

Changed out voltage regulator, didn't do a thing,then harness,battery, traced wiring etc not sure whats next to look at. any information would be greatly appreciated.

• d007
    11 years ago

bobcat pro-cat 61 zt 3 years old has 27 kawasaki engine model # FX75IVAS06R

• d007
    11 years ago

Stator producing 34 volts ac battery runs at 12.34 at full throttle and 12.19 with pto engaged. regulator has been replaced, new battery, and regulator harness and overall looked at everthing but can't seem to find what's causing my problem.

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Stator output is important information!
    Now, all we need is someone with KAW experience to let us know if 34VAC is enough.

Apples to Oranges, but for example, some Briggs are spec'd for 28 VAC minimum, while others are a 40 VAC min.

Sorry I can't help more-

• KubotaMaster
    11 years ago

Aye dont look at me I dont know kawi engines only kubota cant help there. It all sounds like a bad ground to me.

• d007
    11 years ago

Thanks for trying to help me figure this thing out. spent the better part of yesterday tracing wires and retracing my steps can't find anything. My tractor guy is puzzled too. Tells me to keep checking stuff but have not found anything yet. output readings are to spec recomendation until you start the blades. Needs to maintain 13 and it drop to 12.1 and quits, it seems it would have to be with the ac/dc draining and not charging, bad ground. will let ya know if it gets figured out or I use it for target practice, I have already painted a red circle on it. Maybe I need a kubota!

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

You need to find the spec for the alternator output with it disconnected from the rest of the system.

Your DC output from the voltage regulator should be closer to 14 VDC than 13!

A fully charged battery is supposed to be about 12.6V.
    There's no way 12.34 will charge a battery!!!!

You need to find what the stator is SUPPOSED to put out.
    IF it's more than 34 VAC, you have a bad stator. No amount of wire tracing will change that!

• d007
    11 years ago

well guys its up and running no gun needed after all.apparantly when the regulator was in the process of going bad it fried about a six in section of wiring of the main harness leading to the fuses in the loom. you could smell it but not see it. I am happy,happy I can go to work,walk behinds are great but its hot and i'm tired. by the way talking to the bobcat main headquarter they told me it could be the belts,(bad bearing causing increased amperage due to more resistance on pully system)stator harness,delay module or pto. who said girls can't fix stuff, sometimes it just takes awhile to figure it out.thanks again

• josealvarez
    6 years ago

I had same problem. Took it to a repairman and it now runs and cuts well but new problem is it has no power moving so slow. With or without pto. Any help out there please?