Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chfiii

Recommend a push, rotary, low ht, mulching for Bermuda?

CHFIII
9 years ago

I haven't bothered with getting a top quality rotary mower before but if I can find one that matches the checklist below I will invest in one.

Lawn is bermuda and I keep it short - cut 2-3 times per week and usually cut the same section from at least two directions - it's my exercise and think time. Features I want:
1. I want to push it, I don't like drag behind mowers and like total control.
2. I used to have a high end reel mower which I know is best for Bermuda but I gave it up after back surgery. I can't wrestle a pig around, something light that is easy to maneuver is a big plus.
3. I want a very fast spinning blade. I keep mine knife sharp and touch it up before every cut. These EPA neutered mowers are useless when you have super dense Bermuda and sometimes you get that lovely 'swirl' when the blade is too slow and rips instead of cutting even though it is sharp. If I can't throttle it up, does any mower out there have a faster blade speed than the others? Not an expert on this stuff, figure sharp and fast means cleaner cut so whether I need torque or speed I am not sure but I don't want lumpy cuts and i don't want to hear the mower complain at me because the grass is so dense. I want it to cut my lawn perfectly every time and refrain from annoying me as much as possible.
4. I never bag and would remove the side discharge thingy if it can be removed and the discharge is still blocked for mulching so I can get close to stone borders from either side.
5. I cut as low as I can. If the ht adjustment has 4 'pegs' for height I will more often than not go below them all and have the mower shorter than it is supposed to be, right now the levers on mine are not against a peg, they are hitting the mower deck and I'm at .5" or so
6. Don't care much about width, the only reason I don't use scissors is to keep people from laughing at me... I like cutting grass so if narrower or wider is better fine but getting done sooner is not a priority.
7. Wider wheels, if they exist either on the mower or after market would be nice. I don't like ruts and can avoid them easy enough by changing my path every time but along the edge of the garden and trees it is hard to do that.

I like the idea of Honda's double bladed system to mulch more finely but I cut often enough and every inch of grass gets hit from at LEAST two directions so there is rarely any visible clipping leftovers lying on top when I get done.

That's a picky list, I know, but figured more detail is better. Currently I use a cheap mower with a razor sharp blade and get decent performance but last two cuttings I got those 'swirlies' and can avoid it by raising the blade now that the grass is so dense but I'd rather do it my own way and have the mower do what I want - I'm a hardhead and I'm OCD about a great lawn :-)

Help appreciated, mower help - pshrink said there is nothing to be done about my OCD pursuit of perfect landscaping, lost cause there.

Comments (4)