Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamotherl

Kick Back on Briggs and Stratton Engine

lamotherl
9 years ago

Is it appropriate to post on this forum a problem with a log splitter?

Comments (13)

• baymee
    9 years ago

Can be posted under "Tools", but it sounds like a motor problem, common to lawnmowers too.

Kickback is usually a timing problem. Partially sheared flywheel key.

• lamotherl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding to my problem.
    I have taken the flywheel off and found the key was still intact.But I put a new one on and when trying to start after this I had the same kick back problem. However, this does appear to be a timing problem but I am lost at what to try next.
    My problem began while using the splitter. I had a backfire and the engine stopped working and have never been able to start it again. Always get the occasional kickback after a few yanks on the stater cord. I replaced the carburetor, spark plug and coil. Set the coil gap to .007". But still the engine never turns over.
    Hope someone has some ideas on what to try next!

• baymee
    9 years ago

The coil gap is usually .012, but do you have spark? How about compression. You should have some even with a compression release. Maybe you should try a leak down tester.

• lamotherl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I do have spark. I removed the spark plug and tied the barrel to ground and while pulling on the starter rope, I observed a nice spark. The coil gap is .007". Which is about the thickness of a business card, which is typically what I have seen on YOU TUBE. I will re-gap the coil to .012" and try that setting.-

I have not done a compression test. Sounds like its the next step to try. How do I do this test? Can you be more specific on how to use a "leak down tester"?
    Thanks for your suggestions.

• rosemallow
    9 years ago

I have only seen a similar problem like this which was hard to resolve. And it was a defective solid state ignition coil. There is a intelligent chip which retards the timing on start to make it easy.If you were in my area I would lend you a coil.
    Anyway, I am interested in seeing what the problem is.
    BTW what are the specs on the engine?

• lamotherl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have the specs on hand I always need to look them up. I use the model number to do this. Model number is 1206020182E1. Hope this is what you need.

• rosemallow
    9 years ago

Try setting the valves. I see that is a OHV engine.

• rosemallow
    9 years ago

Try setting the valves. I see that is a OHV engine.

• lamotherl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.I'll mention this to the fellow I just hired to fix my problem.

• ruppelautoservice
    6 years ago

I have a 10.5 hp OHV Briggs that was doing the same thing after I replaced the cylinder head gasket. The rope would jerk out of my hands, even while using both hands! Here is what I found wrong.

My engine has a "automatic compression release" feature that is affected by the intake valve clearance. When valve clearance is correct ( .005 cold ) the intake valve is held open about .025" for the first 1/2 of the compression stroke. At that point the intake valve begins to close and is completely closed about 2/3 the way through the compression stroke. I have not found any publication, nor have i disassembled the engine, to determine if this also happens as the engine is running or just during the cranking of the engine.

If you have excessive intake valve clearance ( mine was .037 ) then the intake valve is not held open releasing the compression . By the way, adjust the intake & exhaust valve clearance at TDC of the compression stroke.

I determined this by removing the blower and valve covers and watching the intake valve / piston / flywheel movement as I slowly rotated the engine by hand.

After all was put back together the rope can be easily pulled with one hand and the engine starts immediately.

I hope this explanation serves in solving your problem !
    Mike

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Most likely intake valve lash issue with the briggs if flywheel key is good .

• HU-358407181
    3 years ago

How do you check the valves?

• HU-762196549
    3 years ago

Feeler gauge , every engine has different valve lash settings . Utube has plenty of video,s !