Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard_505

Acquired a Honda HR214 SX mower and have questions

richard_505
17 years ago

Hi, the mower has not been used for 2 years and there is no owners manual. Do I use only gas or a mixture of gas and oil for fuel? What kind of oil does it take and where do I drain out the old oil? There's also a button? on the left side closest to you when mowing but I don't see anything connected to it. What is it supposed to do?

Comments (27)

• Greg Goyeneche
    17 years ago

Use straight, regular gas. Oil is an good, high detergent SAE 30. At the base of the filler tube is a plug which is the drain.

I sent you Honda manual in PDF format via email.

Also jabe listed Honda's site where you can download manuals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honda Web Site

• richard_505
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for the info!

• nevada_walrus
    17 years ago

There is a drain plug by the bottom of the dipstick but I know of no one using it. To do so drains oil all over the BBC and that's bad news. Warm the engine up and tip to the side so dipstick is drain.

I believe the button (yellow) you mention is the lock out that prevents the BBC lever from engaging except when its held down at the beginning of moving the lever forward. Many older one get sticky or intentionally altered so they never lock it out. There's a rod running from the button to a hook at the bottom of the lever.

• 1saxman
    17 years ago

'BBC' = blade brake/clutch. Like the Walrus says, most mowers including yours use the oil dipstick tube for draining the oil. Get a flat pan big enough to hold 20 ounces, remove the dipstick and turn the mower up on it's side wheels to drain the oil. A good SAE 30 is Quaker State SAE 30 HD in the bright green container. DO NOT PUT THE WHOLE QUART IN THE MOWER! Castrol also has a good 30 HD, along with lawn mower-specific oil labeled Briggs and Stratton or Honda in 20 ounce bottles. You can find these at Wal Mart or Home Depot, etc. Check the information so graciously supplied by ggoyeneche for oil capacity, but 20 ounces will usually be close enough. The air filter is paper-pleated and is replaced rather than cleaned. These will be found where they sell Honda mowers.

• canguy
    17 years ago

I have the same model and love it. With a sharp blade in good condition that thing will suck golf balls and small pets off the lawn. Even though it is tired, gives a big whuff of blue on startup to serve warning to the skeeters, it starts first pull every time. Two things worth noting, the fuel system needs to be squeaky clean for the engine to run properly, and when engaging the blade, press down the yellow button and move the bail smartly. Trying to slip it slowly will stall the engine as the brake needs to be released before the clutch engages.

• richard_505
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've changed the oil and spark plug added new fuel. The problem is that the carburetor is clogged. Is it hard to remove the carburetor and take it apart for cleaning?

• richard_505
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Would it be safe to drain the gas and run paint thinner through the carburetor and engine with the spark plug out? Or will the paint thinner damage something inside of the engine?

• 1saxman
    17 years ago

Are you sure the fuel cut-off is turned on? Do not use paint thinner in the engine. No solvent is going to help unless you can get fuel moving through the carb. You will probably have to remove the fuel bowl and clean it and the metering orifices in the center bolt. As an alternative, add a heavy shot of carb cleaner to the gas and remove the fuel bowl frain plug if so equipped - it would be just off to the side of the center bolt near the bottom. This will drain any remaining liquid in the carb and will let the fresh fuel/cleaner in. You could let it soak overnight and repeat the process again to see if it opens up the carb, but you probably will have to manually clean it. If you don't want to try that, you could remove the air filter and put a little gas directly into the air intake. This will start the engine and may pull enough of the carb cleaner through to get it going.

• canguy
    17 years ago

If gas is not flowing, paint thinner won't either. The carb is not difficult to remove, be patient and note the position of the linkages and springs.
    The carb is a very simple design and needs to be CLEAN. With the bowl off, remove the brass jet carefully with a proper sized screwdriver and gently tap the carb so the nozzle drops out. Ensure all the holes are clear, clean the grunge out of the bowl and reassemble, preferably with a new bowl gasket.

• richard_505
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've removed the carburetor and cleaned it. The mower now starts but only on choke. Selecting any speed after starting will cause it to slow down and die. When starting, the mower sounds like it has power, but after a few seconds, it sounds weak. Do I need to clean it more?

On to another possible related problem. :)
    In the pictures provided in the link, the thing boxed in green naturally goes to the right. In order to use high or low, I have to manually move the thing completely to the left. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the replies!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://home.doramail.com/richnard:doramail.com/

• canguy
    17 years ago

Your carb is still not clean enough. There is contamination in the nozzle or jet. The 'thing boxed in green' is the throttle shaft, it normally goes to the left, WOT, until the engine starts. The governor then takes over to regulate speed. I just noticed in the last pic the governor spring is missing, it goes from the lever the cable is connected at to the governor arm. Keep at it, you have an excellent mower, IMHO, one of the best ever built.

• bill_kapaun
    17 years ago

This model is also supposed to have an inline fuel filter.
    It COULD be clogged????

Also, the fuel shut off on mine appears to be in the opposite position then one would expect. look at your owners manual to confirm proper position.
    You can download a manual at the link below-

Here is a link that might be useful: Manuals

• richard_505
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've finished another round of cleaning the carb and its still not working. I still have to move the throttle shaft, but not completely to the left, to start the mower in low and keep it going. The fuel filter has been cleaned, but I forgot to try running the mower without it to see if it would help. Is it running too lean? Would buying a replacement carb solve the running/lean issue?

The high and low setting are the same (I think I still need to tighten the cable). Is high supposed to be half-choke?

The spring is not missing, I just took it out to do a bit of cleaning.

• richard_505
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've finished a thorough cleaning of the carburetor. The things connected to the throttle shaft seems to be causing the main problem. In the third picture, link above, the throttle shaft naturally stays at to the right, making the throttle stop screw useless. The top of the metal bar in picture 5 naturally goes to the right. I guess it's time to have it repaired and tuned professionally.

• southsidechili
    16 years ago

I also acquired a HR214 SX and it smokes like crazy. I checked the oil and it looks clean but way overfilled. Is the appropriate amount of motor oil 20 ounces? I suspect the previous owner dumped a quart in it. Sounds like draining from teh filler spout might be the ticket. Any other advice?

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Check the air filter to make sure it didn't get "oiled up".

• stanr2
    14 years ago

I have a HR214 that is about 24 years old and the trans stopped working. Is it work fixing or replacing and if so how long will it take?

• grasscutter_2010
    13 years ago

My Honda HR214 SX starts and the drive (wheels) move, but
    the blade does not seem to cut.

Is this operator error? Is there a secret switch to make
    the blade move, or is the lawn mover broken.

My tenant left this and I do not know much about it?

tom

• skipjack
    13 years ago

Honda 214 lawnmower does not run, spark good, no gas in cylinder. Carburetor jet probably plugged. Can move carburetor halfway off two engine bolts, two linkages prevent carb from moving further. No obvious way to unhook linkages short of unscrewing linkages support rods. Any ideas?

• jsf_1973_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I also have a HR214SX and I am having an issue with it. I am wondering if it relates to the problem above and just needs a thorough carburetor cleaning.

My mower starts up, usually on the 2nd pull with the engine set to choke. I then switch it to high and it runs like a champ. But, within a few minutes, it runs as if it was on the low speed setting. Because of this issue, a few blades of grass tend to get knocked over instead of actually cut. What is the suggested course of action to rectify the issue. Also, I saw that someone had access to an owner's manual for this model. If anyone still has the manual in question, would he or she please email it to my email address. Thanks.

• 1saxman
    13 years ago

'I also acquired a HR214 SX and it smokes like crazy. I checked the oil and it looks clean but way overfilled. Is the appropriate amount of motor oil 20 ounces? I suspect the previous owner dumped a quart in it. Sounds like draining from teh filler spout might be the ticket. Any other advice?'

20 oz is a little too much in most Honda LM engines. I didn't know this when I posted '20 oz' above. 18.5 is the usual Honda fill, so 20 oz really shouldn't cause any problems. Anytime you encounter a high oil situation, you have to give it the smell test to see if it's saturated with gas, which indicates a carb problem. If the smell test is inconclusive, put a small amount of the oil in a good stout container and try to light it off - if there's enough gas in it to burn, you are flooding the crankcase with fuel. Otherwise just dump the excess out and make it right on the dipstick or mark in the filler tube, whichever applies. Alternatively, dump it all out and refill with the correct amount.

• allieandpam_charter_net
    12 years ago

hello, my i have a honda hr214 and have not started it aprox, in one year, when i did start the mower the mower idle speed runs very high and does not kick down to a lower idle speed. any help on this?

• bark_catlover_com
    12 years ago

ggoyeneche New Jersey
    Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 22:41
    I have the same Lawn Mower. I've had some pretty good luck with it. Several Landscapers try to buy it from me each year. I have been guessing at some specs though. I would like to know the correct settings. If I might get the PDF You spoke of. bark@catlover.com thanks

• hardee38
    12 years ago

Make sure you use regular unleaded gas

• horacio112
    11 years ago

I do have cold starting problems with my HR214.n
    I have to make about 10 resistive pulls,then suddenly the engine gets loose a finally starts.
    Looks like the piston or some other moving parts get dry
    and the engine tends to freeze. I use straight 30 w. oil.
    Any sugestions from anyone to correct the problem.?Thanks

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Are there lots of emissions when it starts? Perchance have you removed the spark plug, and cranked it over?

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

"I do have cold starting problems with my HR214.n
    I have to make about 10 resistive pulls,then suddenly the engine gets loose a finally starts.
    Looks like the piston or some other moving parts get dry
    and the engine tends to freeze. I use straight 30 w. oil.
    Any sugestions from anyone to correct the problem.?Thanks "

Use 10W-30 like the manual states.
    Mine pulls like a slug with heavier weight oil and cooler temps. (even 15W-40 slows things down)
    It makes the difference between 1-2 pull starts & 10+ pull starts.