Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to balance a mower blade

Posted by milo2000 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 22:16

I wanted to know how people balance their mower blades. My mower vibrates to the point of making my hands numb and a friend told me I should balance the blade. Also what is the best way to get a blade off. Mine seemed pretty tight for a ratchet. Should I try my impact wrench? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to balance a mower blade

Impact wrench to remove, yes. Before removing the blade rotate it around the housing to check for straightness. Balancing a bent blade doesn't solve the problem.
To balance the blade, sharpen it first. Many have good luck just hanging the blade from a horizontal nail through the center blade hole and watching the heavy end drop. Remove material from the heavy end until the blade hangs level. For $5 you can buy a blade balancer which consists of a vertical nail that a cone rests on. Your blade sits on the cone as you watch the heavy end drop. Some would say the BEST way to balance a blade is to spend several hundred on a ball bearing version of the horizonal nail. You asked.

o

Disconnect the spark plug wire and ground it if possible. Tip the mower up so the carburetor is on the high side. Use a block of 2x4 to block the blade - sometimes you have to stand on it. This allows you to put your weight on the wrench which will usually break it loose. Remove the old blade and install a new one. When tightening, block the back of the blade with your shoe. You could fiddle around with the old blade, but I'd trash it. In the future you can balance the new blade after you sharpen it.

o

I assume you already know this, but to balance it you merely grind off material from the cutting edge of the heavier end until the blade balances out correctly. To ensure the blade isn't bent just measure from the blade tip to the ground, then turn the blade 180 and remeasure the other tip, the measurements should be the same.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here