Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jhnbaker41

My review of the Worx GT 20 V cordless trimmer

jhnbaker41
11 years ago

I recently became interested in purchasing a cordless trimmer due to problems dealing with a corded electric trimmer and a gas trimmer that was powerful but over time was heavy, noisy and a headache to deal with. I saw the infomercial on the Worx GTand decided to investigate cordless trimmers. I first investigated the Black and Decker Grasshog brand but I was not impressed with it's being bulky to use as an edger and it had a less than durable plastic body. I then checked out the reviews for the Worx GT and the reviews on most surveys were split almost evenly. It

seemed that this was a product that most either loved or hated. I finally

bought the 20V Worx GT and these are the areas that I really liked and

some that I did not. I have also added what I would like to see.

What I liked:

1) I really like the ergonomic features of the Worx GT especially the easy

to adjust handle and the ease of adjustment to a wheeled trimmer. The

Worx GT is light and easy to trim under benches as well obstacles that

you could not adjust other trimmers to trim easily. The construction

seems to be much more durable and tough as compared to the B&D

trimmer.

2). The Worx had plenty of power to cut the toughest of my yard grass,

however I would not recommend that it is appropriate for knee high weeds

and grass, it was very good for our regular yard. The battery life was

adequate at about thirty to forty five minutes which is why I bought a

separate battery. I initially charged my battery for the required 12 hours

and it provided enough power to complete my ward both front and back

which is about 1/2 acre. I think that it should be mentioned that if you buy

a cordless trimmer with a lithium battery that it will never be as powerful

as a gas or electric trimmer just because of the power that the lithium

battery can offer. While this may seem like a no brainer I think that most

people still expect the power of a gas or electric trimmer in a cordless unit

and complain when the battery goes out in thirty minutes but if you want

great power in a quiet unit the lithium battery unit is a great way to go.

3) I also liked the double helix trimmer cord due to it's apparent durability

and less need to change out. Even when trimming against fences and

tough areas the cord was much more durable than I imagined and actually

did produce a noticeable nicer cut of the grass I was trimming.

What I did not like:

1) I did not like the small head on the Worx GT. Also the cord did not

automatically advance as well as advertised but this was not a huge deal

as it was easy to advance with a touch of the button.

2) I did not like the battery recharge time. After using the unit I recharged

the battery and it took several hours as opposed to the short time that it is supposed to take.

What I would like to see:

1). I would like to see a more reliable battery charger design. The battery

charger will not shut off after the battery has recharged lending itself to battery damage and at $60.00 to replace the battery at Lowes it would be

helpful to have a better designed charger. Also the charger itself is very

cheap and fragile.

2). I would like to see a higher quality of battery on the unit. The battery

has to cool off before being recharged after use which points to poor battery design.

Summary:

I love the Worx in part because having back problems it is easy to use as

well as being rugged and reliable. It is a great trimmer overall despite it's

few shortcomings.

Comments (23)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Isn't it amazing that a person signs up to this forum and their first post is ANOTHER SHILL for WORX?

• cookie9035
    11 years ago

my review, at least your getting 30 minutes on a charge, I get 20 minutes of use per 3 hour charge, other then that it works great

• cookie9035
    11 years ago

and yes to post here the review makes sense, because I posted on the worx site about the 3hour charge per 20 minutes of use not making sense, and they did not post it at all. 30 minutes per charge is a bit better then running in at out at 20 minutes per charge. Even tho I did make my first 12 hour charge in hoping I could do my walkway and was disappointed to get only 20 minutes of use.

• twelvegauge
    11 years ago

jhnbaker must be a real helpful person, to go to the trouble to join this forum purely for the purpose of posting a review for all us un-informed, not-too-bright folks who have been holding our breaths to find out what he thinks of a particular string trimmer. Based on his convincing and brilliant revew, I'm going to order one dozen of these trimmers. I can't thank him enough.

• snuffyinatl
    11 years ago

I looked at one...think I'm gonna stick with my Echo....its been goin strong for more than 15 years now :)

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Personally,I prefer a gas engined 'anything'. I'm like
    Tim The Toolman, and like loud, powerful tools. The
    noise makes the neighbors, and the missus, know that
    I am busting my hump, keeping my yard up to snuff.
    Your post may be genuine, but I hope you stick around
    and report back here after your battery pack won't take
    a charge anymore, and you have to replace them.
    Then again, maybe you've got lots of bucks. On second
    thought, I don't think you got lots of bucks, or you
    would have a lawn service. Hang in there jhnbaker41.

• tomplum
    11 years ago

Yes, thanks for the review j41. Keep us updated. I remember a long thread on Worx trimmers or something a while back. Time for fresh perspectives.

• jhnbaker41
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I will stay around as I love to see the reviews of people who use garden products as I said before, I was saying what I liked and did not like about the Worx. I have a small yard so a battery powered one is a great option for me. THe Worx though is not the end all trimmer even for me as I too have alot of concerns about the battery as well as other issues. Even with this I will always have to do maintenance work on whatever trimmer I have wheteher it be replacing a battery or the oil and gas on another trimmer, so whatever. I will let you know how long the battery pack lasts and follow up good and bad. Thanks for your kind words.

• tooltime79
    11 years ago

I would go with the Black and Decker. A couple of guys I work with got the Worx GT and I've heard them both on the phone with the company complaining about them. I bought the B&D 20V Lithium. It came with 2 batteries but one does my entire yard with no problem at all and I have a lot of stuff to trim around. One thing I've noticed is I don't get a sore back while using it and I don't have to stop for breaks. I think they have it weighted just right. And the line feed works great. This is my 2nd B&D cordless but this one is much better.

• 1224eagle
    10 years ago

I purchase the WORX GT2.0 MaxLithiumTM 3-in-1 Grass Trimmer/Edger/Mower over 2 month ago and now the auto feet does not work, I have to stop and manually feed the line out to cut this take me longer to use the Trimmer/Edge. The replace spools do not hold as much of the line as the ones that come with the Trimmer/Edger. I have been trying to talk to someone at Worx today but I have been on hold for over 2 hrs now.

• lonewoof
    10 years ago

There are several folks on here who apparently feel that their manhoods are threatened if anyone has a good word for a Worx trimmer.

• harvnmarth
    10 years ago

Just bought one but haven't used it yet. Just picking away some time reading reviews and this will be my first and last submittal. Seems that like in local restaurants and bars the regulars seem to feel after a while that they own the place. The attack on "jhnbaker41" was just another example of why I usually only read. A new members opinion is seldom welcomed by the fire stoking, mean spirited type that write that kind of sarcastic post. You jerks serve your purpose however, very much like a gnat hovering around you plate while you're trying to have a good meal, irritating, not very smart and impossible to get rid of. Goodbye to another forum owned and run by the self proclaimed witty, sarcastic writers that defeat the purpose.

This post was edited by harvnmarth on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 8:55

• ewalk
    10 years ago

harvnmrth : Hang around Bro ! Many goodhearted folk onboard. Just some of the Elders get a little upset when numerous Shills drop by to sell their wares. Bill and twelveguage have a wealth of knowledge within such matters however do at times as do I get a little hot under the collar when unsolicated trolls sneak in . P.S. Also the original post was over a yr ago .

• Lan123
    9 years ago

jhnbaker41: Are you still using your worx GT 20 v cordless edger/trimmer today?

• IHateYardwork
    9 years ago

jhnbaker41, thank you for the Worx GT 2 review. I'm new here and I'm trying to find a decent trimmer/edger. I started several years ago with a Black and Decker and had lots of trouble with the line feed and had to keep stopping to fix the line. I changed to a couple mid-$100 Troy-Bilts and had the same problem. It sounds like the Worx isn't any better with line feeds?? Can anyone recommend either a gas/electric/battery trimmer that doesn't have line feed problems? I'm sick of stopping every five minutes to fix the line or pull it through.

• evdpgh
    9 years ago

"Can anyone recommend either a gas/electric/battery trimmer that doesn't have line feed problems?"...I can. Go to Home Depot and get an Echo SRM-225 for $199.00. A great bargain at the price.

• marcgg
    9 years ago

I bought a Black & Decker GH900 electric string trimmer for around $50 and used it for an hour yesterday. I am pleased with it so far. It's an auto feed and worked better than any autofeed I used in the past. This trimmer is much more comfortable to use than my previous trimmer, a Craftsman electric with a double string. I would advise against a double string, too many hassles with it. I've bought B & D in the past, and wasn't always pleased, but the new one is a decent medium to light duty for a reasonable price. It is not as powerful as a gas trimmer, but those are too heavy for me and I don't like storing gas tools. I also am not a fan of cordless, due to battery cost and lack of power.

• davidgibbs1
    7 years ago

I recently went online to research Worx Trimmer Blower Combo sets. There was one. They also listed Kmart as a retailer (There is one in my small town). I called Kmart and they had one type. I bought it to find a. a broken charger and b. I later found it was an older model. The broken charger they agreed to replace (I'm still waiting) but said their website and retailers sell different models. Really! There was one product listed on each place and I was caught up in the belief that the one product shown was the same as the one product available. Customer service is terrible with Worx and I won't be buying anymore of their products.

• aluvaboy
    7 years ago

Worx is a "made in China" POS, that should be avoided like plague. This will last a couple of seasons. You curse yourself for buying it and put it by the side of the curb. If you are lucky some imbecile will pick it up before the garbage pick-up comes - or it goes straight to the land fill. They spent more money on advertising than designing a better product.

• Donna Er
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I bought the Worx GT 2 years ago. Recently, after charging both batteries, I attempted to use it again but the motor just grinds which I think may be the weak batteries. I have liked working with this trimmer however, it has deficiencies. One is fine, longer grass gets tangled up in the head which you cannot access unless you disassemble the unit. You can see the grass but can't get to it. The battery time is limited - about 25 minutes. It takes overnight to charge it.

I love the way you can adjust the head and especially perpendicular for a clean trim around the driveway or sidewalk. For a woman, it's light and easy to handle. And, of course, it's quiet.

They've got a good product but with shortcomings. Like someone commented earlier: they need to put more money into research. I wish I had put the money towards a Stihl gas trimmer. I won't be buying another.

• aluvaboy
    7 years ago

Donna Er,

Sometimes we learn from our mistakes. Sometimes from someone else's mistake. I was tempted to buy this myself seeing the TV ads. Lucky me - when I searched the net, I found a lot of horror stories just like yours. So decided to buy a used gas powered straight shaft Echo from Craigslist. Loving it. Very powerful. Use it at least once a week during the growing season. Never given me any problems so far. The reason I bought used is because the newer string trimmers have some thing with their carburetor to meet the EPA standards. They are said to be problematic down the road. A lot of users have posted this issue on the net.

• Donna Er
    7 years ago

Thank you for your response. I've just learned something from you about the newer models.

The Stihl costs a pricey $329 (but it's for taller, denser grasses/weeds). Stihl is a quality product and which I count on for their reliability. Plus, their service is top notch. Echo is a good choice from the reviews I've read in another magazine (Mechanic's ?). My friend whose son owns a landscape business recently bought a Shindawa which I've never heard of but he swears by.

Thanks again for your comment/reply. Good luck with your Echo.