Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lablues

Which push mower, Toro, Lawn Boy, Honda?

lablues
15 years ago

Since moving into my new home last summer, I've gone through a couple of mowers. First was a reel mowers that worked pretty well(got mocked by the neighbors), but one of the handles ended up snapping off. Then, I decided to move onto a corded electric mower and got a refurb Black and Decker MM875. It's worked fairly well, but am now gettin quite frustrated mowing because it bogs down every few feet, whenever it hits a patch of slightly taller grass. Also ran over the cord a few weeks ago and had to go buy another 150' cord. I've decided to give up this green idea and get a gas-powered propelled push mower.

I have a fairly small lawn, After reading this forum and looking around at HD and Lowe's, I had narrowed the field down to the Toro 20066/20067($349 and $399), Honda HRR2165VKA($429), HRX 2172VKA($629), and the John Deere JS45($479 on clearance). I was interested in the JS45 because of the caster front wheels, but then I read a lot of negative reports on here about John Deere push mowers.

Read a lot of positive reports of the Lawn Boy mowers, but they weren't available at HD/Lowe's. Finally went to a local mower dealer today and saw a bunch of them. They had the 10686($439 w/electric start), 10687($399 w/BCS), 10695($449-Honda), 10697($499 w/BCS), 10795($569-cast alum Honda). Additionally, they had a Toro Super Recycler 20054 for $549.

Now, I'm confused as to what I need and what's really important. Longevity to me(beyond the warranty period) is not as big a deal to me because I wouldn't mind buying another new mower in 3-4yrs with newer technologies and I'll probably be moving in another three yrs anyway.

Is it that important to have an aluminum or poly carb deck, or Honda engine?

I think either the electric start or BCS would be a nice feature, since I have to stop periodically to remove golf balls(I know I should survey the lawn beforehand to remove them). It would be nice to have a relatively quiet engine, though the Lawnboy 10795 they started up for me in the shop wasn't all that silent(indoors though).

Thoughts, recommendations?

BTW, I can get a 10% military discount over 4th of July from HD and Lowe's.

Comments (13)

• wildboar
    15 years ago

Don't forget about all the good used equipment on craigslist.
    Lightly used HRX217HXA for $400 sounds like a deal to me, owner is even willing to pay for a tuneup if it needs it:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grd/725905045.html

• gorper99
    15 years ago

Toro #20066 or #77.I just picked up the #20067 for $330.00.I had a 9 year old $20033 that still was good.

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

I say go for the LB 10795. Any gas mower is loud indoors, but outside, the Honda engine on a cast aluminum deck is the quietest set-up going. The Honda GCV engine is also probably the most fuel-efficient 5.5 HP out there and has plenty of power. The 10795 uses 'Sensa Speed' drive which is basically Toro's 'Personal Pace'. You will like this, guaranteed. No levers or bails - you just walk off with the mower and it provides drive assist at whatever speed you're moving. It automatically speeds up and slows down as you do. It's also extremely mechanically simple. Belt changes, should they be necessary (I haven't had to change a drive belt yet and I have/had four LBs with this drive) are extremely easy, requiring only removing the blade to slip the drive pulley off if need be. The hi-dome Insight deck and 'Atomic' blade perform well in any mode, and the bag will easily hold the clippings from your whole yard. In bagging, the clippings are partially mulched by blade action so the bag holds more area of yard. Its a very easy-starting engine, so I would'nt be concerned about no BBC. Besides, I do not trust any BBC for changing the bag to mulch or any other operation that requires the blade to be stopped. I want the engine off when uncovering the discharge port. I want to still be called 'sax man', not 'stumpy'. My fingers are rather important to me! Finally, you will find that should you need to dispose of this fine mower in a few years, the Honda engine on the cast-aluminum deck will be very good selling points. BTW, you could set your cutting height at 3" or more and not worry about the golf balls until after cutting the grass, when they will be easier to spot.

• rideinstile
    15 years ago

If that is your price range go with the Lawn boy, but if you read my post that says no more UUGHH, you may want to spring for a few extra dollars and get the TORO SR4 Super Recycler. Trust me it's worth it.

• grasscutterguy
    15 years ago

HONDA...Excellent Engines..95% of all the equipment for sale to consumers in america are poorly manufactured GARBAGE...Rototillers ..Mowers..etc
    Lawn Boy..Please... 2 stroke OMC stinky trash that never ran in the 70's

• metal
    15 years ago

Please disregard that last post.

• hawkdriver
    15 years ago

The briggs on the lawnboy is a great engine too, it starts easy and has good power. And is less money.

How does the Sensa Speed system differ from the drive system on the 10550? I have to be honest I dont care to much for the drive on my 10550. Ilike the 10323 bail drive better. Saxman, can you tell us how the 1550 and the sense a speed system differ?

• 1saxman
    15 years ago

They don't differ. Sensa Speed is Personal Pace, just like Easy Stride on the 10550. I recommend this to most people looking for a self-propelled mower. The people that have little experience with them seem to like PP best and have no problems with it. I liked it sometimes, but sometimes I got really mad at it. Now that I have only Variable Speed, I'm happy.

• totsuka
    13 years ago

I just bought the Toro 20092 for 529. It was more than I originally planned on spending but I like the fit and finish and 5 year warranty. I was using a reel mower too, in Florida!..well..."it seemed like a good idea at the time".

• andrelaplume2
    13 years ago

I have an original PP from a dealer who assures me its a better quality unit than HD sells. I know I have an aluminum deck and better wheels...other than that, not sure the difference. I am happy with it. I'd say get one. I sometimes think of picking an extra up at HD. The get refurbs in now and then for as little as $240. Actually, note that most of the refurbs they get in are Honda's..not sure why...try the PP.

• John C
    7 years ago

Please save the negative comments re Lawnboy 2 cycles. I used mine for 21 years and never, ever had a problem until a crack in the aluminum housing literally pulled the engine apart, it lost compression, and there were no parts available to fix it.

Loved that mower, loved the 2 cycle, the scent of the exhaust (reminded me of being out on my boat), and the reliability. Nothing on the market will pick up clippings and leaves as well as that mower did, nothing.

Caruso

• ssewalk1
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

John C , Yep nothing like a lawnboy running Klotz R to make you feel alive lol .aka Ewalk