Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Modifying Rotary Mower

Posted by crombold 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 23:01

I have a very uneven lawn and was planning on sand leveling my lawn. However a thought popped into my head while using my rotary mower. Does anyone have any experience/advice about taking the wheels off of my rotary mower, and adding a front a rear rolling pin, similar to a reel mower? My thought is that this will prevent the deck from dipping unevenly and burning my grass without having to sand level it. My main concern holding me back from doing this is the front pin will push the grass down right before the blade makes it pass.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Modifying Rotary Mower

Interesting idea. Maybe fashion one for the rear and start there. In my thought processes, you may still want a free turning wheel on the outer ends to aid in maneuverability.

o

Good point. Wasn't thinking about how it would affect maneuverability. On the flip side, if I don't change all 4 wheels there's still an opportunity for a wheel to find a low spot and drop the deck. It's definitely a catch-22.

o

Maybe you could create a 6 wheel wonder.

o

Now that's an idea! Creates more points of contact to prevent the dipping in low spots, but should still maneuver better than two rollers.

o

Find an offset-wheel Lawn-Boy. The right front wheel is well back and near the mid-point of the deck. Helps prevent scalping on hillocks. No need to 'reinvent the wheel' - pun intended.
You probably should do the leveling too. In zone 8 I guess you have Bermuda which spreads into the sand quickly.

photo lb5a.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here