Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nctom

lawn boy 10515 problem

nctom
14 years ago

My Lawn Boy 10515 has suddenly let me down. This is what has happened now twice. The mower will be running fine and then, with a slight throttle adjustment, the motor comes to quick stop, accompanied by a squeal of sorts. The engine will then refuse to start back. If you wait a couple of hours it will start back.

The obvious signs of problems are the cables to the brake and transmission. They both have bad kinks in them. IÂve read that a bad module could be the restarting issue. Could it be the shutting down problem as well?

The cables are around $50.00 dollars each and a module cost slightly less. Where should I start troubleshooting? I hesitate to invest $150.00 and it ends up being the transmission or something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

'My Lawn Boy 10515 has suddenly let me down'
    Let's see - you neglect to perform maintenance/repair and the mower let's YOU down?
    Sounds like the engine brake is engaging (the squeal) along with the kill switch (the stop). Repair/replace control cables and engine brake ass'y. as req'd.
    Before buying new cables you might try unkinking them and using a penetrating lube in the cable housings.

• nctom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Saxman1 - Thanks for all the advice.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"The mower will be running fine and then, with a slight throttle adjustment, the motor comes to quick stop, accompanied by a squeal of sorts. The engine will then refuse to start back. If you wait a couple of hours it will start back."

Don't know about cables, sounds to me like the engine is seizing perhaps from being straight gassed or otherwise over heated some time. When you say it refuses to start back up, do you mean the engine won't turn over or it will turn over and not fire?

Walt Conner

• nctom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Walt- Thanks for juming in. The engine turns over fine,it's just doesn't fire. Once it cools it runs great for a few minutes of mowing and then does as stated. I've only had the mower since early last year. I can say without doubt that I've never put straight gas in it. I use the ECHO synthetic that others here have suggested.

The cables are in bad shape but otherwise the mower looks great and has been performing flawless. I hate dealing with cables. Brake and gear cables on a bike have always aggrivated me and Santa Claus.
    Tim

• joe_tca_sbcglobal_net
    13 years ago

I love these mowers !!! anybody know where they can be found new or very good shape ? I had a 1994 that ran perfect for 14 years then i lost it in a divorce !!!!!

• katmandu2
    13 years ago

@Joe Collins Sorry dude, you should've given her the house instead of your Lawnboy! LOL!

As far as finding one new....well, you won't. The EPA forced manufactures to stop producing 2-cycle lawnmower many years ago. I don't remember the exact year.... Early 2000s for sure though.

• katmandu2
    12 years ago

@Joe Collins Sorry dude, you should've given her the house instead of your Lawnboy! LOL!

As far as finding one new....well, you won't. The EPA forced manufactures to stop producing 2-cycle lawnmower many years ago. I don't remember the exact year.... Early 2000s for sure though.