Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mowernut

Honda or Snapper?

mowernut
10 years ago

I'm looking long and hard at the Honda HRX217K4HYA (Northern Tool's model # for it), and Snappper's commercial mower with the Honda engine. The mower's primary use will be residential, but I'm currently doing 4 other neighbor's yards which are not very big at all. I'm liking the Honda's "plastic" deck. Appears to be pretty much bullet proof unless anyone out there has had problems with it. I've liked Snappers all along, and am only considering the commercial version because of the Honda engine, and the mower itself has a lot less plastic on it. The Snapper has the GXV160, and the Honda mower has the GCV190 on it. Can anyone explain the differences or advantages between the engines (other than torque & horsepower)? I think the GCV is geared toward residential use, but have read a lot of good things about it. With that said, which one would you buy?

Comments (3)

• brice1
    10 years ago

Are you dead set on new? The residential Snapper's from 10-20 yrs. ago can be found for cheap. I bought one from a guy for $120 just last month. It was built in 1998 and the 6hp B&S still starts on the first pull and the deck and hardware is rugged enough for yours and the neighbors yards. Does a really nice job mulching the fescue and bermuda found here. It has the same differential as their new commercial line and is the best handling self propelled mower made imo. I like the new Honda engines too and it may be better suited to the grasses found in FL but can't see spending that kind of money on one. Even an $800 mower can break so you might want to pick up a used mower just in case.

• jmcphail
    10 years ago

I have a Hi-Vac with a Kawasaki engine for 7 or 8 years, and an HRX217VKA new this season.

In my limited experience the Honda starts much easier and gives a much better cut when mulching. I've never even put the bag on the Honda.

If I had to pick only one it would be the Honda, no contest. More power, better cut, better mulching, easier starting, and I can cut the same grass in half the time.

But I'm keeping them both.

• mowernut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, new isn't a necessity, but used Snappers are few and far between - at least for what I've seen. I'd love to have one. I currently have a 4 year old commercial Honda mower that in my opinion doesn't cut well. I feel it leaves far too many single uncut blades of grass behind. You actually see more the day after mowing. It looks as if they are being blown over instead of drawn up into the blades. I've tried different wheel heights, a gator type blade by Oregon with a spacer provided by Honda, and even using only the lower vac blade without the upper blade - all with the same results. I'm stumped, and constantly reminded of the poor cut quality along with how much I paid for it. My 16 year old Honda that my inlaws are using leaves a perfect cut behind, so I'm looking to sell or trade in this one. Honda denies any problems.