Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmckinn2

Push mower wont start! Help please!!!!

kmckinn2
14 years ago

Hey everybody,

I'm getting desperate so I thought I would turn to the online experts! I have a John Deere JX75 push mower that hasn't been run in about 2 years so there was no surprise when I tried to start it up last week and it didn't do anything. So first I made sure it had fresh gas, changed the oil, air filter, and spark plug. It still didn't run so I took off the carb bowl and cleaned it and a couple other pieces with carb cleaner.... still nothing.

I also have checked to make sure the spark plug is getting electricity by putting a screw driver in the rubber spark plug cap, placing it next to the metal body of the mower, cranking it and looking for a blue spark (which it had). '

The only response I've gotten out of the mower is when i put a little squirt of gas into the spark plug socket, replacing it, and cranking it. It will run for about 2 seconds and big puff of white smoke comes out that doesn't smell too good.

Can anyone out there help me? I'm trying to avoid taking it to a repair shop but I will if I have to.

Thanks a lot,

Kyle

Oh yea, there may be some beer in it for payment =)

Comments (9)

• baymee
    14 years ago

From time to time the question is asked about why an engine will not run long, or smoothly, or will start with starting fluid and not continue to run. The problem is usually because of a blocked or constricted jet. The small ones are easy to miss.
    Shown are 3 of the typical jets and the small holes. All 3 are Tecumseh jets. Briggs jets are similar with the center-bottom hole and one on the side. All these holes need to be fully clean and open for the engine to run correctly.
    Some jets only have the center-bottom hole.

{{gwi:126852}}

{{gwi:126850}}

{{gwi:126851}}

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

baymee; GREAT PICS!
    The white smoke also brings up questions - like maybe at some point the mower was tilted up on it's side with the carburetor on the low side, allowing oil into the carb, cylinder and muffler. Because it is turning over and firing, there is no hydraulic lock, so it's either a badly worn engine or just oil in the muffler. You won't know until you get it running and give it a few minutes to burn off excess oil. If it keeps blowing oil smoke and the oil level is right, it may be shot.

• baymee
    14 years ago

I've had to run some engines 10 minutes or more to get all the oil out of the muffler. At the same time on its side, the air cleaner usually gets saturated and ruined and should be replaced before starting.

• kmckinn2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When I took the bowl off the carb, it had a nut on the very bottom, I looked for holes but couldn't see any. There was also a screw on the bottom side with a spring around it that I had to take out to make the bowl come out. No holes there either. Where exactly are these jets? Do I need to go deeper into the carb?

I (hope) don't think the engine is shot.

Thanks again,

Kyle

• baymee
    14 years ago

You probably have a Briggs carb. The holes would be similar to the very top picture. The jet is the nut you removed. I have no idea what the other part was.

• tarheelman
    14 years ago

IIRC, the JX75 has a Kawasaki engine.

• archangel2003
    14 years ago

Push mower wont start! Help please????

I just gotta say it.

If your push mower wont start, just push it harder!

• baymee
    14 years ago

Then the jet is probably directly above the bolt that holds the carb's bowl in place. Looks like a straight screwdriver slot with a small hole in the center.

Usually not a troublesome carb. Loosen the carb bowl nut a little and see if you are even getting gas into the bowl. It might also have a drain screw.

• bilbo_200860
    7 years ago

This is what happened to me. Pulled the cord, motor made a loud band and then it wouldn't start. Too complicated to explain why, but I split the head gasket. You read that right. Remove the head and look for a channel in the gasket on the muffler side. Makes a puff of smoke when this happens too. Good luck.