Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baronvdb

Toro 22035 TV5002 Commercial Push Mower. Self Propel Stopped!!

baronvdb
12 years ago

Hi guys,

I've had this mower since 1986 and it's a beast of burden--but after about a minute of mowing my grass today the self-propelled feature stopped working and now makes a noise when I engage it. Also, i can't even pull the mower in reverse (forward is OK) it seems to be frozen.

I also noticed the last couple times i've used it it would not turn off when I moved the lever to Stop (I had to move it to choke to turn off the engine). Not sure if these two issue are related.

I ended up moving the speed lever all the way to zero and then I was able manually push the mover forward and backward to get my lawn done.

Any ideas what the problem could be and how to fix it? Transmission? Belt?

This is a great mower so I'll do anything to get it going again--but I don't want to have to push it next week...

Thanks!!!!

Comments (4)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

My guess is if it makes a noise when you are engaging the drive is that you have imput to the trans. So you need to verify that and that the output shaft is or isn't turning.

• viking427
    12 years ago

The early Toro commercials (22035 is the predecessor to the 22040) 3 speed trans lacked the ability to "freewheel" backward. Not sure when they changed the design to freewheel backward, but I've had both versions. Check the simplest first - take the belt cover off and check the belt for proper operation. Then pop the cover off the trans and watch what happens as you pull on the bail bar. The commercial 3 sp. trans looks very similar to the consumer recycler 3 sp. trans but has heavier duty internals, a grease zerk fitting on the top of its case and "HD" stamped on the bottom. The engine kill is a simple design, pulling the throttle all the way back touches the throttle linkage to a coil wire down on the engine and grounds out the ignition, killing the engine. Its easy to see where this linkage touches the wire down on the mower and adjust the linkage accordingly. The 22035/22040 was the best 21" propelled mower ever built IMO and its 2 stroke Suzuki is a pleasure to operate. Well worth repairing even if you need another trans. for it.

• baronvdb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies fellas...i removed the belt cover yesterday and it looked like the belt had come loose and got stuck under the pully...the belt looked really old and frayed so I didn't even try running the engine after i saw the condition of the belt...since i wasn't sure what was causing the engine not to turn off with the lever like it should I decided to take it to my repair guy and have him fix the belt and that issue (if the belt was on the only problem I probably would've just fixed that myself).

I'll post back after the repair and let you know what was cause the problems...

• baronvdb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

forgot to post back about this. It turned out to just need a replacement belt and the reason it wasn't turning off with the lever at "stop" was because the little piece of metal that need to make contact down by the governor was touching. the repair guy just made the adjustment so that little thing touched metal and it killed the engine like it should.