Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

To gap a Tecumseh

I never worked on a Tecumseh before.

I may be jumping the gun here but the thunderstorms started as I was popping off the flywheel. Maybe it'll make more sense in the morning. One of the first things I noticed is that the coil is inside/under the flywheel. If you can't access it with the flywheel in place, how does one set the gap on these?

Sears Craftsman Dual Blade Clean-N-Cut

22" Self-propelled, Lite weight Magnesium

Engine: Tecumseh Model no:143-197032

Serial no.: 9157 15057

Comments (11)

• canguy
    13 years ago

No need to set the air gap, it is fixed. If you remove the stator (normally leave it alone), re install it as close as possible to the original position.

• biglumber
    13 years ago

OP are you asking about points?

• baymee
    13 years ago

If you remove the stator, isn't the gap critical? It's probably in a manual about adjusting it.

• canguy
    13 years ago

The stator can be rotated to adjust the timing but the air gap is fixed. As the OP pointed out, there is no access to it with the flywheel in place. Once they went to breakerless ignition in the early eighties, the coil was moved outside.

• baymee
    13 years ago

Did they use both the point gap AND the stator to adjust timing? I couldn't find anything in the manual at all.

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

Not true. Flywheel magnet gap is just as important on an under-flywheel magneto as an external coil (like Briggs, Honda, etc.).

Tecumseh used to sell a special cutaway flywheel specifically for the purpose of setting the gap. Kohler did the same thing with the "K" series.

A lot of mechanics would take an old flywheel and cut a section out of it on a bandsaw to achieve the same result. The Tecumseh "tool" was expensive and a good substitute could be made from an old flywheel.

• ActionClaw (Northern Ohio zone:5a/5b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had already removed it to thoroughly clean everything in the area as much as possible. I'm not certain what "the original position" was. As Canguy posted, "it can be rotated" so I installed it assuming the best position would be to try to put all three points of the stator roughly equidistant from the flywheel inner surface. Is this correct? (I also then tried reinstalling it several more times favoring the right, the left, etc., still getting no spark so my problem probably lies elsewhere). I don't plan to be buying or making any special cutaway flywheel tools, so looking for the best way to eyeball it.

For future reference, what effect does it have if this is canted a bit one way or the other? Is it a matter of..
    spark/no spark
    weak spark/strong spark or
    does it have an effect on the timing?

• canguy
    13 years ago

Rotating the stator affects the timing but a dial gauge and buzz box or light are needed to accurately set it after the points are properly gapped. If those old Tecumsehs were tuned to specifications and compression was good they were super easy to start and idled down under 100 rpm. Darn good motors.

• biglumber
    13 years ago

If I remember right..
    Replace points and condensor
    lube the cam and felt lightly with some lubriplate A.
    Remove cylinder head, measure before top dead center according to the chart.
    Put an ohm meter or circuit light on the points to tell when contact is made.
    Rotate stator until points make contact. Tighten.
    Replace cylinder head with new gasket.
    Re-assemble.

Look up tecumseh L-head service manual and see if your sears model crosses over to get that timing dimension.

Been a while so feel free to correct this list.
    I had an old toro whirlwind that used a tecumseh-lauson 3.5 hp lav35. Great engine. Previous poster is correct in mentioning those things would idle down to nothing.

Here is a link that might be useful: L head service manual

• ActionClaw (Northern Ohio zone:5a/5b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is good but seems like fine tuning it to perfection. At this point, I'm still just trying to get a spark!

Thanks again for that Tecumseh service manual!

• andyma_gw
    13 years ago

IIRC the spec is 1/4" BTDC. My old Chiltons says to use a special tool which is basically a dial indicator wirh an off set in it. Taking the head off would accomplish the same thing too.