Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsrph

Toro Personal Pace Slow

fsrph
16 years ago

Hi,

I have a Toro Recycler (6.5 hp) and the cable that controls the Personal Pace needed replacement. So, I took it to a local shop and the cable was replaced. When I used the lawn mower it is obvious that the Personal Pace system does not work at full speed. It does work but when I walk faster the PP doesn't keep up and I have to push the mover to help the PP. If I slow down to walking half speed the PP works OK. It is difficult to take the mower back to where it was fixed so if there anything I can do myself to fix this?

Thanks,

Francis

Comments (16)

• canguy
    16 years ago

The cable is not adjusted properly at the transmission. Loosen the clamp and move the cable back so that the pulley is fully open when the handle is at the bottom of it's travel. This will take a little trial and error.

• 1saxman
    16 years ago

Another way to express it is in operating handle free play. There has to be some, but you have too much. As canguy stated, you have to move the cable housing (like adjusting a bicycle caliper brake) to reduce the lost motion of the sliding handle. Also, a dry-film lubricant like DuPont 'Performance' applied to the sliding surfaces of the handle can give better responsiveness to the drive. On some mowers the cable clamp is up on the handle and on others it may be down at the lever on the deck.

• fsrph
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the tips...they make sense. The only question I have is how do I get to that clamp you mention to adjust the cable. There is not a clamp near the upper end of the cable near the handle. So do I have to take apart the black box where the bottom end of the cable enters the transmission to reach the clamp?

Thanks,

Francis

• 1saxman
    16 years ago

I just don't know about the Toro, but it has to be at one end or the other.

• baymee
    16 years ago

The clamp can also be located at the top, near the push bar.

• abc69
    16 years ago

I had this same problem with my toro 20058, I bought it online from a store in Chicago. Free shipping and no tax. I got it new for $550, after rebate. I orderedt he traction assist handle, and put it on. The mower was dead slow, and the wife complained about how hard it was to push. I took the traction assist handle off, and it didn't help. I then found the cable adjustment on the top of the handle, near the ingnition, made the adjustment with a socket, and BAM! NEW MOWER. Now it just flies up hills, and I just re-installed the Traction assist handle. The wifes main complaint was that the traction assist handle made the mower harder to wrangle for her, but I think it was just the cable adjustment. If not, I'll take it off and sell it online. I don't want to discourage her from mowing, which is why I bought the electric start and blade cluch model.

• fsrph
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. Just so I do this the right way:

1. Is the clamp I need to adjust right next to the electric ignition key near the handles?

2. And in order to "move the cable back so that the pulley is fully open" after I looses the clamp do I move the cable toward me (assuming I am standing behind the handles as if cutting the grass) or do I move the cable toward where it goes into the transmission? Thanks

Francis

• nevada_walrus
    16 years ago

The clamp is on the inside of the handle with the key start on the outside. Same nut and bolt retain both. 7/16 wrench or socket, loosen the nut 3 turns, stick a small screwdriver in the clamp slot to spread it a tad and pull outer cable towards the deck. Pull it down until only a tick of slack remains in the inner cable, do this with the push handle all the way toward operator. Hold in place and secure the clamp nut.

• fsrph
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank You Nevada Walrus and everyone, I am going to try and do this tomorrow.

Francis

• ldynblk
    16 years ago

Good evening.

Have a Personal Pace that doesn't 'pace'. I've read through the Forums for suggestions/solutions but, hey, I'm a woman and things that go 'bump' in the yard cause mass confusion.

First, it doesn't propell itself and pushing it is killing me. Second, with the engine running, I raise the rear and the rear wheels do not turn. I've tried adjusting the cable near the starter switch but that didn't solve anything.

Second, I do spray my mower off when I'm done, including under it. I guess that washes away the grease but I can't find the 'somewhere' more grease goes.

Could one of your kind gentlemen take me under your wing and help me get my lawnmower moving again without having to pay an arm and leg to get it fixed? I really would appreciate it.

Thank you.

• tomplum
    16 years ago

You may want to confirm that the belt is on. The adjustment is really for belt tension. There really isn't grease that you would be washing off. I would avoid washing in the area of the rear wheels or directly at the transmission. Super recyclers have a grease zirk at each rear wheel, standards have to come apart to be re-greased. In fact, if you wash at all, just safely bounce a stream of water off the driveway under the deck at let it rinse itself for a minute when you are done cutting. If you have further problems, post or model # or at least if it is a super recycler or standard.

• captaintom
    16 years ago

You can get the diagrams and instructional manual for virtually any Toro on their website - no charge. Should help you in locating the probelm clamp. On my PP Toro it is up on the handle.

Capt Tom

• bubbamaine
    10 years ago

i joined after reading the above comments...i almost had to start my newly adjusted toro PP at 1am to see if its faster...even if i need to mess with the belt i feel surrounded with knowledge. thank you sax.

• 1saxman
    10 years ago

What you have to watch for is over-adjustment, which will make it drag when pulling the mower back. With the engine running, pick up the back end off the ground without pushing down the sliding handle - the wheels should not turn. If they move just a little move the cable housing just a little. There should be enough leeway so the drive will release when you coast the mower forward but still have plenty of capacity to match your fastest walking speed.

• HU-186105133
    last year

My pp mower has gone back to shop twice because the mower moves on flat serfaces but on the slightest incline you have to push it…they adjusted and replaced the belt…after bringing it home it works fine for a couple passes then goes right back to the way it was…any ideas?

• 1saxman
    last year

You have to maintain pressure on the handle for it to drive - it will never 'pull you up a hill'. BTW, the belts on the PP and Variable Speed last nearly forever and rarely are the problem. I loved Personal Pace and the Lawn-Boy 'Easy Stride' for the simplicity and functionality of it but there are lots of 'push/pulls' in my yard and it was constantly locking up and resisting pull-back, which infuriated me. I wanted to throw it out into the street and shoot it with an AK until it burned up. Fortunately I didn't do that and I sold it for a good price. Oh, it was a LB 10550.

I now use 'Variable Speed' which is extremely satisfying to me.