Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
propane_derek

Kohler 17.5HP Single Cylinder Weird Issue

propane_derek
13 years ago

Kohler 17.5HP Mod CV490S, Spec 27532, Fam 3KHXS.4902GB, on a Craftsman 917.273180 LT-2000.

Go out to check this out for the customer last night. Engine runs, works fine under load, mows and drives for about 5 minutes, then it stalls out.

Trying to restart, it won't restart right away. Wait about 2 minutes, restart, and it dies immediately -- like a regular carb issue. There's no fuel pump on this model.

I disconnected the wire to the cylinder that is mounted underneath the float bowl (what is that for?) and it wouldn't start at all.

I'm thinking carb or fuel filter, but I wondered about a coil issue or perhaps the little flat "ignition module" looking piece mounted on the side of the engine flywheel cover?

Mower is not that old, stored inside, and fuel was brand new. Fuel lines were solid and did not feel any localized soft spots. Same issue presented with or without air filter in place.

I'm not too familiar with Kohler, so I'd love any assistance. Customer is going to have me go over it anyway so it will get new fuel filter, etc., but if carb is the issue, I need to get him a price.

Comments (7)