Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benzinok

honda hrm215 sxa transmission

benzinok
12 years ago

The drive on my mower has been barely engaging for the past couple of weeks. The best way to describe it would be "weak".

I have done the following so far:

1) Tightened the cables and checked that they are freely moving at the transmission, both the engagement and speed cables.

2) Replaced the drive belt. Slippage seemed to be an obvious candidate but that was not it.

3) I "tightened" the spring that holds the transmission (the spring that attaches to the rear deck) by tying some wire holders to it and tightening. No change

4) Removed the rear wheels and checked the teeth, they are all good.

5) I checked that wheels turn if you turn the belt wheel on the transmission, and after overcoming the gearing, they do start to turn.

I think I am to the point that I need to replace the transmission. Is there anything else I am overlooking? Is it true (as I have read) that there are no special tools needed to complete the process?

Comments (7)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Provided the drive pulley isn't spun on the shaft, I'd say you are correct. Oh the bizarre over engineering on Honda drive systems...

• benzinok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I replaced the transmission, and it is still having trouble. It spins the wheels if you lift the mower up, but it does not have enough power when it has the full weight down. I ran out of time last night, but I am to play around with the cogs and see if I have installed those incorrectly.

Are you talking about the drive pulley back at the transmission or coming out of the engine? The drive pulley at the transmission came with the new one, so that is now ruled out.

This is getting weird. Either it is the cogs, or there has to be something at the engine itself, but that is beyond my expertise.

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

Looks like the drive pulley on the engine. If I remember it is in 2 pieces. Also, I will assume you used a genuine honda belt.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Yes. "Drive" crank pulley vs "driven" trans pulley. An easy way to tell if you have the "cogs" on properly is that when you look at the top "notch" as the gear is on the shaft- the flat spot faces the rear.

• enod
    12 years ago

A.)Have same problem, although my drive is not "weak". It 'stutters'. Pulling back on the handlebar seems to 're-engage' it, but it soon goes/stops/goes, etc.

B.) I didn't quite understand what the final solution to benzinok's problem was.

C.)I would also appreciate it if someone would enlighten me on what the sequence of operations are as a result of pulling on the the self-propelled handle. The length of the cable (adjusting) seems to move something closer to or farther away --- either fully or partially engaging the propelling action. Please teach me what is happening "down inside there".

D.)What indicates that the cable adjustment is correct?

Additional input from anyone would be VERY MUCH appreciated.
    You may write to me at enod1@cox.net

• enod
    12 years ago

8/22/11

I would really appreciate some help on any or all of my questions. Submitted them Aug.13 , 11

Many Thanks,
    enod
    Please mention my User name in the subject line if you contact me by email. enod1@cox.net

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I've had the older Honda boxes apart- when time was worth less I guess. Inside the transmission, a shift fork had fatigued and I was able to rebuilt it with weld - as no parts were serviceable like yours. There is a tension cable for the drive that essentially needs a touch of slack 1/8" +-. The speed selector cable just really has to match where the detent in the gearbox. It sounds to me like your transmission has a clutching issue in the box. When you pull back on the tension lever- that fork likely slides the clutching collar into the mating gear. Best advise: Inspect the easy stuff, and then decide how dirty you want your hands to get with this. Honda drive work just plain sucks. These transmissions are serviced as assemblies only. Any internal correction will come from you and your machine shop abilities.