Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthworm_gw

Lawn-Boy bearing

earthworm
12 years ago

This babies cutting blade wobbles, its shaft bearing is worn, causing vibration.

I'll have to check in with the yard in Lewisberry today.

Is this worn bearing or bushing replaceable ?

Its green, with offset wheels, using a 50 to 1 mix.

Comments (9)

• bogman
    12 years ago

What's the model number of your Lawn Boy.

• walt2002
    12 years ago

Yeah, need model number OR what engine it has on it, describe it in detail or send a picture if nothing else and I never heard of any LB 2 cycle recommending 50:1 mix.

Walt Conner

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

There were no Lawnboys that used a 50:1 mix. What model are you referring to?

• earthworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now for some details.
    Its a Gale Products unit, model # 7229.
    The 50 to 1 was magic marked on the green shroud, along with some "offs and ons".
    She is probably on borrowed time, the blade and wheels wobble and there is, IMO, ecxcessive vibration.
    Can't complain, however.
    I paid $28 for my first Chevrolet and $35 for this Lawn-Boy. Similar condition for either....
    Inflation is very real.
    Thanks for the responses, I'll have to go richer than 50 to 1 to be on the safe side.
    The used lawn mower dealer may have been guessing - rather dangerous and risky .....

• bogman
    12 years ago

EW,
    Your mower has the F series engine which is a very solid motor. It was produced from '79 to '84. It does have an upper and lower bearing that is changeable. It's also possible that the blade is not properly installed. It is supposed to be at a right angle to the piston when the piston is at top dead center.
    If you go to "lawn boy master parts viewer" you can get the part numbers you need.
    I never heard of a Lawn boy mower labeled as made by Gale products. Gale was a division of OMC and they made Buccaneer outboards. Buccaneers were supposed to be older models of the Evinrude/ Johnson motors and were sold at a lower price.

• earthworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bogman, you and other fellow posters have been most helpful, which I appreciate.
    I never thought of the blade location (90 degrees to the piston at TDC), this may be something that others do not know, as well..
    I did visit the parts site..$13 per bearing...but then we have the 4 wheels, I'd love to have "bearinged" wheels(wheels with ball bearings) that have an iota of quality, but these I have yet to see as a retrofit..Honda has them as OEM....I tried the Honda, it failed...replaced by a Lawn-Boy Personal Pace - great drive system..

• walt2002
    12 years ago

"I never thought of the blade location (90 degrees to the piston at TDC), this may be something that others do not know, as well."

My "F" book says to align the blade parallel to the piston/rod when at TDC. I doubt it makes that much difference, I would come nearer thinking the blade is out of balance or bent.

Walt Conner

• bogman
    12 years ago

Walt is correct on the blade alignment. The older LB's are set at 90 degrees . F engines like to be aligned with the piston when it's at TDC.

• orangedotfever
    12 years ago

I used to make sure the blades were aligned like that. Then I quit going to the trouble and found very little, if any, difference.