Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oil leaking from exhaust

Posted by kevbocometh 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 08 at 10:15

i'm fixing my neighbors lawn mower for him, i thought it would be the usual; punky gas, bad plug, clogged filter or any combination of the 3. oops, my bad i pulled the cord once and it started leaking oil out of the exhaust. it's a murray mower with a real cheap-o briggs 4hp engine. has anybody ever heard of such a thing...does that even make sense? how does the oil get all the way through the exhaust? maybe he tipped it and it got in there once and this is just the long term results? please help, i owe this guy money:) sorry for no engine description, i'll update later, Thanks to everybody in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oil leaking from exhaust

Check the oil and make sure its not overfilled. Either he or you may have tilted up the mower with the carb side down which can flood the intake tract with oil. Frequently this will 'hydro-lock' the engine to where you can't turn it over. Pull the spark plug and ground the wire - pull the engine through several cord pulls to blow the oil out of the cylinder. Check the air filter - a paper filter will usually be oil-soaked and should be replaced. A foam filter should be cleaned and re-oiled, or at least squeezed out to remove excess oil. The engine will smoke for several minutes after starting as the oil burns out of the works.

o
RE: oil leaking from exhaust

My MTD edger/trencher has similar symptoms as the above poster , but gas is leaking out of the muffler not oil. Has the metal gas tank with the plastic carb pickup tube mounted on top of the tank. Is there a simple fix for this? The engine is a 4.5hp B&S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here