Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken51

Toro 20045 w/Quantum 6.0 runs rich?

ken51
10 years ago

I have a Toro 20045 that I use twice per year. It has probably no more than 200 hours of total use. It burns no oil and doesn't smoke or use excessive gas. Overall it performs very well with the exception of one thing. When the engine is cold, it starts up on the first pull if I use the rope to start it. It has key start too. The engine barely cranks before it starts right up using this method. I've been very pleased with the ease of cold starting. However, hot re-starting is a problem. Using the key, the engine cranks and cranks and will just barely start letting out a small puff of black smoke. Using the pull cord it starts a little quicker but requires multiple pulls - and then it barely starts.

The air cleaner is clean, the oil is new and not overfilled, the plug is new and the carb was cleaned and rebuilt last year .I have cleaned the combustion chamber last year and the year before - seems like there was a lot of blackened film that formed too quickly that I had to scrape off on the second cleaning.

So it seems like its running rich but I'm not certain. Any ideas what may be causing the sluggish hot re-starts?

Comments (8)

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Because you use it twice a year?
    That infers you may have a partial tank of gas sitting for months at a time, going bad.

Air filter- "Looking clean" can be misleading. Spring for a NEW one. it's only a few $ and eliminates any possibility of the old one being clogged with "micro" particles.

The battery is probably bad from age.

• ken51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry - I should have been more specific Yes, I use a brand new air cleaner at each use. Also, the gas i use is fresh from from the pump the day i use the mower and at the end of each use I run the mower out of gas. The starter motor is new in 2013 and the battery is new in 2010. The battery was tested in 2012 and found to be 100% capable of delivering its full rated amperage and voltage. it is stored indoors when not used and trickle charged with an automatic battery charger during mowing season. The mower is covered and is stored in a shed when not used.

• bluemower
    10 years ago

is this equipped with the automatic choke?

• ken51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It has a bulb primer. I should also mention that the carb is not adjustable

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

If the battery was tested in July of 2013, it could be meaningful. NOT 2012!
    A new air filter every time you use it? That doesn't even sound logical?

What's the model & Type numbers of the engine?
    Assuming it's a Briggs 12H807-1775, it's a fixed jet engine, so the only way it could run rich is a clogged air cleaner or leaking needle/seat assembly in the carb. That latter could be cause by "fixing" the carb and not flushing the fuel line before reattaching. it's VERY easy for a tiny bit of crud to get washed down to the needle and prevent it from closing all the way.

• ken51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bill - thanks- sorry for the delayed reply.

I know it doesn't sound logical but,yes, I replace the air filter at the beginning of the 2 uses per season - just to make sure I;m not "choking' off any air flow.. The fuel line is new (synthetic 1/4 inch fuel line SAE standard ) and installed in 2012 - so there is not much chance its causing a problem. The battery i was just tested again and found to be delivering its full rated amperage and voltage after being charged by the alternator, I'm curious now about the needle and seat you mentioned - I don't think i have ever replaced it. Do you recommend replacement?

Thanks again for your response

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

IF the needle was leaking, the fuel level in the carb bowl would be high, causing a rich condition.

My 20+ year old Honda has a "sooty" looking plug whenever I pull it, but it has no indication it runs rich. I think it's a nature of unleaded gas that we don't have the "gray" coating.

About the only hot starting issue I can think of is a heat sensitive coil (armature).
    You might check spark when cold and then again when hot to compare the quality.

• ken51
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your input