Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accidentally ran straight gas in a trimmer engine.

Posted by herricjb none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 12:26

This isn't a mower question but I've had such good luck getting help with my mower in the past here, I thought you would probably know what to do with another small engine.

I goofed up. I accidentally put straight gas in my Shindaiwa trimmer. It ran a few minutes then stopped and wouldn't start. That's when I realized what I had done. The piston has seized up (it wouldn't pull to start).

Is there anything I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accidentally ran straight gas in a trimmer engine.

Hi....
I'd remove the sparkplug and put some 2 cycle oil directly into the cylinder and leave it for a 24hrs.
Hope this helps.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 16:40

Sometimes you can free up the piston with penetrating oil. Try to turn the crank in reverse, using whatever you need to do it. Sometimes this works.

o

Thanks. How would you turn it in reverse?

o

Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 19:37

You could remove the head or maybe by just using a wooden dowel and hammer and with someone applying reverse force on the crank, gently tap the piston. Might take a few tries.

o

Sometimes they will move after cooling. There is probably some cylinder/piston scoring but it might run again.

o

I used penetrating oil and a hammer and dowel to get the piston moving. It's currently soaking in 2-cycle oil. I plan to rinse out that oil with the correct gas/oil mix and give it a try at starting. Wish me luck!

o

Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 12:54

waiting

o

Sorry I didn't get back earlier on this. Much appreciation to everyone. I was able to free it up and it seems to be working the same as always. I just used a penetrating oil as suggested, tapping the cylinder lightly with a wooden dowel every day. It freed up in about a week.

o

Heh heh you didn't do it any favors but, you rescued it and it will do fine. Thanks for the follow up

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here