Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawn mower starts, but wont stay running

Posted by scott11 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 12:46

I have a craftsman 4.5 hp mower. Really dont know much about it. Today I started it up, or tried to. Filled fuel tank, pressed primer a few times, gave it a pull or 2, and it started fine, but only ran about 30-45 seconds. Did the same thing over and over, wont run more than a minute. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawn mower starts, but wont stay running

It's running out of fuel. Check for fuel flow from the tank and through any fuel filters it might have. Sounds like it's getting enough flow to refill the bowl, slowly, but not to run very long.

o

sounds like you might be right. Dont think I have a filter, dont see one in the manual. Are there any product I could add the the fuel, rather than taking it apart?

o

What engine? How many horsepower? What make of engine? Need to know, to diagnose it!

o

ok, after reading some other posts, I added some liquid fuel injector/carb cleaner to the fuel tank and ran it a few times. It started staying running longer and longer, and by the time I finished my first pass on the yard, it was running really well.

Thanks

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 19:36

Gasoline is not a pure chemical. It is refined from crude oil, but there is still some percentage of gum that accumulates in the carburetor, over time. I'm glad that your mower is running well. Some people add carb cleaner to the gas tank used for refilling the lawnmower, and operate the mower on that mixture all the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here