Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lawn Mower smoking

Posted by jlm41 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 13:11

I have a small lawn mower (Bought from walmart 2 years ago) for $100. I thought it was running low on oil so I put in some more oil and started the lawn mower and it started smoking.

Do you know what could be wrong? Did I put too much oil?

Did I damage the lawn mower? I am afraid to start it again.

Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lawn Mower smoking

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 15:32

There's a dipstick so you don't have to guess when to add oil. If the oil level is above the full line, then you have too much in.

Did you tip the mower on its side at all?

If there's too much oil in the motor, tip the mower and drain some of the excess oil out of the oil-fill tube.

o

Have a look at the air filter after you reset the oil level. It could have gotten contaminated w/ the excess oil.

o

When checking engine oil on a Briggs & Stratton mower engine,
(1) place the mower on a level surface
(2) remove the dipstick,
(3) wipe off the dipstick
(4) insert the dipstick and screw in all the way
(5) remove the dipstick and observe the oil level.
(6) reinstall the dipstick - tighten all the way
Different engine brands may use a different procedure to check oil. This can be found in the owner's manual.

If you tip the mower on its side, oil will find a way into the wrong areas - usually the muffler, air filter or combustion chamber.

o

Follow Bay and Tom's advice prior to running the mower further !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here