Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fxrmike

Smoking Honda Harmony

fxrmike
12 years ago

Turned the mower, 15 yr old Honda Harmony, on its side for a couple times while mower was hot trying to put the snap ring around the rear axle. Snap ring kept popping off. Now the mower smokes pretty bad and I've noticed a little oil puked out onto the left side of the deck while I'm mowing.

Have a done something bad? Should I change the oil? Oil level is good. I thought it would stop smoking after the oil that got it the wrong places burned off. But I mowed for an hour a few days ago. After 15 minutes, it started smoking pretty good out the muffler. When I stopped the mower, lots of smoke out of the top of the engine.

Comments (6)

• Woody71
    12 years ago

Based on the symptoms, I'm assuming you tipped with the carb facing down? Is the air filter saturated with oil?

• fxrmike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tilted the mower the same way as draining the oil, to the right. No, the oil filter is dry. The small amount of oil being puked ends up in mid way (from front to back)on the left side deck.

• fxrmike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to say, the carb was up when I tilted the mower.

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Go ahead- warm it up good and change the oil and report back.It may be possible that the breather is simply saturated w/ oil. Let it drain and vent for a while before refilling.

• 1saxman
    12 years ago

The symptoms may relate to overfilling with oil or tilting. If your engine has the internal governor with the shaft through the crankcase at the left rear side, that could be the source of the oil on the deck. Make sure hot oil level is correct. Even with correct oil level, the governor shaft may continue to leak, and there is nothing you can do except clean it up every so often. My Harmony with GCV160 leaked there and left an oil spot on my shed floor that's still there. That's not why I sold it though, it was because cutting height only went to 3". Later, I picked up a Lawn-Boy commercial with the GSV190 and it leaks there too (both mowers bought new). Because of a different deck design the oil doesn't get through to the floor, and the leak is minor enough that washing the mower once or twice a year keeps it presentable.

The problem also could be the cylinder is worn out after 15 years, which is a long time for any mower. Why the symptoms would suddenly appear after tilting the mower correctly is unexplained and would not be expected. Normally, oil-burning gradually gets worse, not overnight.

• fxrmike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Appreciate the replies. Pretty simple fix. Changed the oil. Left the mower on its side for awhile to get as much of the old oil out as possible. Mower didn't smoke or puke oil today.

Thanks again,
    Mike