Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geoboy_gw

old lawn boy lawn mower

geoboy
11 years ago

I am new on the forum, so bear with me. This is a 1951 or 1952 Lawn Boy which my dad bought for $99.00 in PA, I am in OH now. I do not know if it will run or not, ran the last time I used it 15+ years ago. As you can see it has a piece out of the casing and the left front wheel casing was crack & my dad put a steel bracket inside & it worked fine after that repair. I have the sevice manual & operating instructions for the mower and the Iron Horse motor. The mower is a Model 8FH10LB. If anybody has additional info on this mower I would appreciate it. I am planning on selling it, put I have know idea what it is worth. If anybody has any idea what it is work, let me know.

Comments (17)

• romore_gw
    11 years ago

It might be worth a few bucks to somebody that collects that sort of thing. That is similar to the first engine I took apart at 13, I got it running but it screamed like banshee. I hadn't learned about governors.

• geoboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

romore,
    I fixed the governor in this mower several times.

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

Is that an 'RPM' label on the front of the deck? The 'Rotary Power Mower' Co. was founded by the inventor of the rotary power mower sometime around 1950. He was unsuccessful with his early models until he teamed up with Evinrude of the 'Outboard Marine Co.' who was making vertical shaft 2-cycle outboard engines. It was at this point that they came up with the brand 'Lawn-Boy'. A little later OMC bought out RPM entirely and they dropped the 'RPM' from the brand. So, an 'RPM'/Lawn-Boy represents the first commercially-viable rotary power motor. Sears began to handle them and subsequently carried the Lawn-Boy line into the 1990s.
    Yours might be worth repairing (broken deck) and restoring. As is, I would venture a guess that you might get $100 for it.

• geoboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

saxman1

It is a "RPM" logo on the front of the deck. I remember my Dad saying this was the first rotary mower for sale. I think he bought it at a private shop (make from Sears) for $99.00. Since my birthday is in March 1941, he bought it when I was 11 or 12 and was in Little League. We used it to mow the Little League field and many many other mows as you can tell because the treads are wore away from mowing lawns. That is why I think it is a 1951, 1952 or 1953. The strap on the gas tank is stamped MOD A10, which I think is the model of the motor. I could find it at this website: https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/...als/lball.html

• bogman
    11 years ago

The A10 refers to the engine model. A10 was the first RPM lawn boy introduced in 1953. As Sax said, Outboard Marine bought RPM out and, in 1955, introduced the first C engined mowers. Your A10 model was followed by the A11 and A12. The A engine models lived on for a while after the C engine was introduced.
    Your mower may well be runnable. I would pull the spark plug and, after shooting some oil into the cylinder pull it over with the plug connected and grounded to the case, see if you have spark. If you do your half way there. The A10 model has a Tillitson carb which I'm not familiar with but a check of the fuel bowl to make sure it's not gummed up (as well as the gas tank). If all looks OK put the plug back in, give it some gas and a shot of starting fluid and see what happens.

• 1saxman
    11 years ago

'Saxman, I thought I was the oldest MOFO on this
    forum. You've got me beat by 7 freakin years.'

How do you know how old I am? It was 'geoboy' who said he was born in 1941. :) But I have to admit I probably am still older than you.

• grass1950
    11 years ago

If geoboy is 71 and and lbpod is 64, if you can remember your age saxman, you should should be able to determine if you are older. Lol

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Just remember, KIDS, ony 15% of the population
    of the world is over the age of 65.
    (world population is 7 billion).

• geoboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks bogman for the info, I am going to use 1953. I was 12 then and my last year of Little League. Remember my Dad saying that this was the first rotary mower. I just
    now have to decide what asking price when I sell it.
    I guess I can claim to being the oldest guy on here unless saxman1 lets us know how old he is.
    Thanks a lot for everybodies help.

• geoboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The strap on the gas tank is stamped with MOD A10 SER 001152. I think it is a very low serial number and one of the first motors built. I do not know the serial number on the mower or where it may be.

• tooltime79
    11 years ago

That looks like a great candidate for American Restoration. You should send that picture to the producers of the show, they may sign you up.

• snuffyinatl
    11 years ago

Are you going to list this mower on ebay? I am interested...

• geoboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just put it on ebay about 5 minutes ago.

• Brickstreet Gallery
    3 years ago

How much did you get?

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Oh probably not much 8 yrs ago . Nice mower and even better story !

• 1saxman
    2 years ago

Geoboy; I wasn't 12 until 1957 so you are more of a geezer than me if that's possible!