Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snapper266

Snapper ReR keeps burning drive discs

snapper266
9 years ago

Hello guys , recently purchased a snapper 28" RER off craigslist. Worked great for a few weeks then one day started to loose power and the drive disc literally blew apart. , pieces went flying . I purchased a new one and replaced it . After I few mows I began to smell burning rubber and found the disc is melted and mangled. What could be the problem ? Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance

Comments (14)

• itzbinnice
    9 years ago

Having owned one many years ago I believe your problem is with the engines round metal disk that the drive disks rides on (I can't recall the disks properr name). If I recall correctly there is a set screw (s) that you can adjust the height to. You may need to loosen the set screw(s) and push it upward towards the engine to put less pressure on the drive disk. It may be frozen so soak it with some PB Blaster (or WD 40), then tap it near the center with a hammer to free.

• snapper266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe that is the driven disc that comes off of the crankshaft I will check and see if it needs to be adjusted. I do start in 5th gear almost always. Could that also be the culprit ?

• itzbinnice
    9 years ago

The measurement from the bottom of the engine plate to the surface of the drive disk should be from 3 3/4" to 3 7/8". The drive disk is adjusted by loosening the two allen set screws on the engine shaft.

Are you certain you are replacing the driven wheel with the correct part?

When installing a new driven wheel you should adjust the shifter bracket on the mower so that the driven wheel is in the middle of the Drive Disk when in the NEUTRAL position.

I would not recommend starting off in 5th gear. Start in 1st gear, then once it's moving you can shift into 5th gear.

• snapper266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I measured and didn't find anything out of spec. The side of the disc closet to the hub seems to be much more worn and melted. I honestly think it's from starting out in fifth gear to mow the hill I'm my front yard.

• itzbinnice
    9 years ago

If your current drive disk is damaged I would replace it assuring I have the correct replacement disk. Then I would double check going through all gears with the mower stood up that the various gears are making correct contact position with the engine drive disk. The further away from the center of the hub the faster the gear will go. Also make sure reverse is working properly..

And lastly, do start off in 1st gear, when throttle set to high speed and you put it in 5th gear there is a lot of sudden torque and friction placed on the rubber. Quite possible this is causing your premature wear.

• snapper266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Replaced the disc after measuring exactly 3 7/8 clearance. Mowed the lawn shifting gears properly. Towards the end it began slipping and became very hard to put in gear without fiddling the lever around. I parked it in the garage and the disc was extremely hot almost melting it was very soft. Any thoughts ?

• snapper266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Replaced the disc after measuring exactly 3 7/8 clearance. Mowed the lawn shifting gears properly. Towards the end it began slipping and became very hard to put in gear without fiddling the lever around. I parked it in the garage and the disc was extremely hot almost melting it was very soft. Any thoughts ?

• snapper266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• itzbinnice
    9 years ago

You never mentioned the Snapper series you have.
    Is yours the older model with the handle bars or newer with a steering wheel?

You may be able to go to the Snapper site and get an owners & parts manual, IâÂÂm not sure if a service manual is there.
    http://www.snapper.com/us/en/support/manuals

As mentioned, I owned one many years ago so my memory is not clear any longer on how it functions. When I sold it I gave the new owner the owners manual and repair manual so I'm unable to reference them.

I recall there was a clutch spring adjustment that had three position holes, you may try to move it to another hole to reduce the spring tension.
    Look at part # 18 & 29 at the link below for reference.
    http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=snapper&mn=28086S+28%22+8+HP+Rear+Engine+Rider+Series+6&dn=8608

Are you using this mower on hills? This may be causing your problem if the incline is too steep.

Lastly you can always try to move the disk drive up towards the engine to reduce the pressure being put on the rubber wheel. It may be out of specs (3 3/4 to 3 7/8) but worth a try. Since you're at 3 7/8 try 3 3/4, if that doesn't work try 3 5/8 or less.

Hopefully your new disk is still useable.

• walt2002
    9 years ago

I do not believe the problem is too much spring pressure. I think you need to do more checking. In particular is the rubber tired wheel running correctly? Not running crooked for instance?

Walt Conner

• snapper266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Disc seems to be straight. It does have a little play up and down. Is that normal . The brake liner is installed.

• itzbinnice
    9 years ago

You never answered the question, "Are you using this mower on hills?.

• snapper266
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slight hill in front yard . I avoided the hill with the new drive disc and still had the issue.

• itzbinnice
    9 years ago

Sorry, I'm all out of ideas.
    Hopefully another Snapper RER owner can jump in and offer some better advice.