Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice

Posted by Benrein none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 15:55

Hello All,

I recently bought an expensive lawn mower to mow my lawn. My yard is about average size but desperately needs mowing. Up until now, Ive been using this guide to help me with mowing heights.

http://www.lawndoctor.com/content/importance-proper-mowing-height-lawns

I would love to know if anyone knows of anything missing from this article?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice

I'll look that over and get back, but it all depends on your climate and what grass you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

That looked to be a comprehensive set of guidelines. But its not super critical as long as you don't cut it severely short. Blade sharpness is just as important. I'm in central VA where most people have fescue and we cut it at 3" to 4". However, I'm a bum and have let my yard go to Bermuda which I cut at 3". I have two mowers that use the same blades. I have a total of 5 blades. I take one off and put a sharpened/balanced one on. The one I take off I sharpen, balance, paint and hang up for later, usually within a week. This way there is no down time between blades.
The biggest mistake I see, and practically everybody does it, is cutting the grass (or whatever green stuff covers your yard) too short. I watch them year in and year out spend money on the lawn having it aerated and seeded, professionally sprayed several times a year and watered with an irrigation system, then get out there every weekend and mow it down to the roots. When the heat comes the lawn basically dies. At least mine stays green until late fall. It seems that the worst offenders are the guys with the riding mowers, and I don't know why they do this.

o

My front yard is mowed to 4" . In August , I may mow it only twice in August. If I do it right the grass won't get burned and crunchy.

o

I live in Maryland and 3.5 seems to be the best cut for my grass.
Saxman1 is correct the blade must be sharp. The sharper the better.
Grass sometimes does not like to be cut too high. It causes a problem where it will not grow straight and tall. This causes a problem where it flops and kills itself.
I see no reason to cut grass in my area short. Long or short if it is going to grow it will grow.
As for sharpening. If you do not hit a rock a file is the easiest way to get a good edge.
Also cutting short makes the root system poor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here