Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GCV 160 5.5hp motor won't idle - surging

Posted by gv-gardener (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 16:08

i have a GCV 160 5.5 hp honda motor on a trimmer mower. Recently it won't idle and surges at low speeds; but when under a load it runs great (full power).

I just finished cleaning the carb. I took it apart and blew it out with air (I didn't have a carb kit). It still does the same thing.

Is it possible something else is causing this, or is putting in a new carb kit and soaking the dirt out the only option?

Would appreciate any advice from your experiences.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GCV 160 5.5hp motor won't idle - surging

You may have missed cleaning the jet on top of the carb. You do not need to take the carb apart or remove the carb from the engine. Remove the screw that covers it and clean that out. I use a fine brush wire and a few good shots of wd40 or equiv. oil.

o

I have the exact same problem, exact same engine. Unit only 2 months old. I was told it may be the idle circuit. Love the unit otherwise.

o

'under a load it runs great (full power).'

Then as far as actually using the mower, you don't have a problem. Try running some injector cleaner through it.

o

Me and a friend both had this problem with our mower, they would only run on high speed and would pulse or surge at idle. Tried cleaning the carb but that didn't work, tried replacing all the gaskets, no improvement. Bought a new carb from Plano Power Equipment for a whopping $16, along with the governor spring and rod, spent about $31 total. Installed the new carb and it purrs like a kitten, idles, runs on any speed, just like new. I did also move the spring on the lower right that attaches to the governor lever from one hole to another. Seems the carb and associated linkage is very touchy, that's why I replaced the other parts but the carb may have had a clogged jet and I just didn't feel like messing with it so replacing it did the trick for me.

o

Not sure why the Honda card is so tempermental. Seems every Honda Mower suffers from this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here