Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustangm

Murray riding mower will not start

mustangm
13 years ago

Hi and thanks for assisting. I have a Murray riding mower model 42544x8B that will not start. I have tested the battery with my multimeter and it is reading 12 volts. A heavy guage red wire runs from the battery to what the manual calls a solenoid (part #94613 - not sure what this does). My multimeter shows 12 volts reaching this terminal on the solenoid. When I turn the key to the start position, I hear a "clunk" coming from this solenoid. Another heavy guage red wire runs from a different terminal on this soleniod to the starter. I have tested for voltage at both the starter and at this second terminal, but no voltage is present. Thank you for any advice you can offer. Mark

Comments (17)

• mustangm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

clarification to post above. When I stated "When I turn the key to the start position" I meant to state "When I turn the key to the CRANK position"

Thanks

• mustangm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

UPDATE: I have read on other posts the procedures for testing the starter solenoid (I know what a solenoid is now). As per mownie's procedure I jumped the small solenoid post (solenoid control wire) with the big double wired post on the solenoid. The solenoid just "clunked" eachtime I jumped these connections. No power was getting to the starter. Is it safe to assume that the solenoid needs to be replaced?

As a second test I verified that the starter still functions by jumping the starter directly with the positive battery post using a jumper cable. I hope this was ok to do.

Thanks again for your help!

• walt2002
    13 years ago

"As a second test I verified that the starter still functions by jumping the starter directly with the positive battery post using a jumper cable. I hope this was ok to do. "

Sure, fine, good test.

' Is it safe to assume that the solenoid needs to be replaced? "

IF the battery cable connections are clean. A poor, corroded battery cable connection, connection to solenoid and out of solenoid could cause this. Check this cheap thing first then probably solenoid needs replacing.

Walt Conner

• mustangm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Walt. The cable connections to the battery are tight and clean. Likewise the cable connection to the solenoid posts are tight and show no abnormal signs. I will go ahead and look for a comparable replacement for the solenoid. Thanks much for the expertise!!!

• poppy2010
    13 years ago

my troybuilt model#30042sr won't say anything.changed the solenoid and plugs. but still no sound.

• fins59
    13 years ago

I had same exact starting problems with my Murray Model 425618x48B 18 HP 42" cut. I would charge battery and it would start the next 20 times but then had to recharge again. Battery tested out fine and solenoid is ok. Then I accidentally stumbled onto this.
    TRY THIS: If you have Hydrostatic Automatic Drive transmission - While turning key (cranking) tap or move speed control pedal (right foot) slightly. When I do this mine starts. Why? I don't know but it works.

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

To: Poppy: If you are waiting for that engine to say when it is ready to start, or is tired of running and needs a rest--let me say---you need a long rest!

• srekberg_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Murray riding mover was running OK. Took a short break and came back to start up and when I turn the key...nothing.
    Took the battery out and had it checked--its good. Replaced the fuse and tried again but when turning the key...nothing happens.
    Any ideas as to why to try next. I thought it might be the ingition switch but that looks pretty hard to replace. Anything else before I try that?

• bill_kapaun
    12 years ago

Sounds like a safety switch.
    Either clutch/brake switch or attachment/PTO switch.

• gregoryblakeney_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My Murray riding mower dont start, it is not getting gas to the carburator; can anyone help? Thanks a bunch, Greg

• rustyj14
    12 years ago

Yes! Stick a thin wire thru the breather hole in the gas cap, blow some air thru it, and try it again! It sounds as if a little mud wasp has laid an egg in the breather hole and plugged it up! Happens a lot, this time of year!
    RJ
    Also, see if it will run without having the gas cap on it. just be careful-and don't drive it without the gas cap!

• MystifiedMurray
    12 years ago

I'm having same problem as Steve with my girlfriends old Murray model 42590x92 not starting after taking a break from mowing. Can't find a manual anywhere. Does anyone where the safety switches Bill referred to in his response to Steve are located?

• tomplum
    12 years ago

Mystified, please start a new thread and give us more specifics. IE is it cranking but not starting, is it starting initially but won't restart hot and what engine it has would allow us to help.

• daviddavid1954
    9 years ago

The mower starts but in seconds stops
    Was running great
    What might the problem be

• PRO
    Wire It Now
    8 years ago

I've got a Murray select 30 inch 12 hp. When I try to crank I get a loud click. I checked the safety switches and all three change state. I have 12 volts at line (battery) side of solenoid. I have 12 volts at little control wire of solenoid. No voltage. At starter side of solenoid. If I jump two posts of solenoid it cranks great but no spark at plug. Any ideas.

• Jeff Grech
    8 years ago

Hello,

My neighbor has a Murray 12hp riding mower that he bought used. It ran fine when he brought it home but now all of a sudden it won't start. Nothing happens when you turn the key... dead silence. The wires seem to be connected properly and the battery has juice. Any ideas?

• tomplum
    8 years ago

You may have to delve into this further. Check the fuse behind the panel, have the battery load tested, verify 12 volts at the trigger wire on the solenoid when the key is turned. Good places to start.