Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Murray riding mower will not start

Posted by mustangm nj (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 16:17

Hi and thanks for assisting. I have a Murray riding mower model 42544x8B that will not start. I have tested the battery with my multimeter and it is reading 12 volts. A heavy guage red wire runs from the battery to what the manual calls a solenoid (part #94613 - not sure what this does). My multimeter shows 12 volts reaching this terminal on the solenoid. When I turn the key to the start position, I hear a "clunk" coming from this solenoid. Another heavy guage red wire runs from a different terminal on this soleniod to the starter. I have tested for voltage at both the starter and at this second terminal, but no voltage is present. Thank you for any advice you can offer. Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Murray riding mower will not start

clarification to post above. When I stated "When I turn the key to the start position" I meant to state "When I turn the key to the CRANK position"

Thanks

o

UPDATE: I have read on other posts the procedures for testing the starter solenoid (I know what a solenoid is now). As per mownie's procedure I jumped the small solenoid post (solenoid control wire) with the big double wired post on the solenoid. The solenoid just "clunked" eachtime I jumped these connections. No power was getting to the starter. Is it safe to assume that the solenoid needs to be replaced?

As a second test I verified that the starter still functions by jumping the starter directly with the positive battery post using a jumper cable. I hope this was ok to do.

Thanks again for your help!

o

"As a second test I verified that the starter still functions by jumping the starter directly with the positive battery post using a jumper cable. I hope this was ok to do. "

Sure, fine, good test.

' Is it safe to assume that the solenoid needs to be replaced? "

IF the battery cable connections are clean. A poor, corroded battery cable connection, connection to solenoid and out of solenoid could cause this. Check this cheap thing first then probably solenoid needs replacing.

Walt Conner

o

Thanks Walt. The cable connections to the battery are tight and clean. Likewise the cable connection to the solenoid posts are tight and show no abnormal signs. I will go ahead and look for a comparable replacement for the solenoid. Thanks much for the expertise!!!

o

my troybuilt model#30042sr won't say anything.changed the solenoid and plugs. but still no sound.

o

I had same exact starting problems with my Murray Model 425618x48B 18 HP 42" cut. I would charge battery and it would start the next 20 times but then had to recharge again. Battery tested out fine and solenoid is ok. Then I accidentally stumbled onto this.
TRY THIS: If you have Hydrostatic Automatic Drive transmission - While turning key (cranking) tap or move speed control pedal (right foot) slightly. When I do this mine starts. Why? I don't know but it works.

o

To: Poppy: If you are waiting for that engine to say when it is ready to start, or is tired of running and needs a rest--let me say---you need a long rest!

o
Murray riding mower will not start

Murray riding mover was running OK. Took a short break and came back to start up and when I turn the key...nothing.
Took the battery out and had it checked--its good. Replaced the fuse and tried again but when turning the key...nothing happens.
Any ideas as to why to try next. I thought it might be the ingition switch but that looks pretty hard to replace. Anything else before I try that?

o

Sounds like a safety switch.
Either clutch/brake switch or attachment/PTO switch.

o

My Murray riding mower dont start, it is not getting gas to the carburator; can anyone help? Thanks a bunch, Greg

o

Yes! Stick a thin wire thru the breather hole in the gas cap, blow some air thru it, and try it again! It sounds as if a little mud wasp has laid an egg in the breather hole and plugged it up! Happens a lot, this time of year!
RJ
Also, see if it will run without having the gas cap on it. just be careful-and don't drive it without the gas cap!

o

I'm having same problem as Steve with my girlfriends old Murray model 42590x92 not starting after taking a break from mowing. Can't find a manual anywhere. Does anyone where the safety switches Bill referred to in his response to Steve are located?

o

Mystified, please start a new thread and give us more specifics. IE is it cranking but not starting, is it starting initially but won't restart hot and what engine it has would allow us to help.

o

The mower starts but in seconds stops
Was running great
What might the problem be

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here