Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peculiar Lawn mower behavior

Posted by rikstick FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 16:40

I have a Honda self-propelled mower model # HRR2168VKA. I live in southwest Florida so the grass season is about 9 months each year and this is my second year owning the mower. I believe I have some type of fuel problem. If I lean the mower at about a 60 degree angle with the left wheels remaining on the ground, she starts running flawlessly and then I can cut grass for about 10 or so seconds, but then she loses power and will barely run, but If I lean her back on the left side she runs perfect. As a test, I kept it leaned for about 10 minutes and she never missed a beat. So to cut my grass, I have to stop and lean her on the left side for about 3 or 4 seconds and then I can cut grass for about 10 seconds, then the cycle must be repeated. I just finished my yard and I feel like I just ran a marathon.

Does anyone have any ideas on this behavior?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peculiar Lawn mower behavior

I would shut the fuel valve and remove the bowl of the carburetor and inspect for water or debris. While the bowl is off, check the flow of fuel by watching the fuel trickle out into a pan. If the fuel cap is venting poorly, you should be able to compare the flow with the cap tight vs loose to know.

o

Thanks for your reply. I tried that and I did not see any water or debris and the cap seems to be venting properly. Also, I noticed that when I first crank it up when the engine is cold, it will run perfect for about 1 minute and then the previously described behavior begins. I'm not sure if this changes the scenario or not. Do you have any other suggestions?

This post was edited by rikstick on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 11:47

o

With that title, I had to read it. Can you imagine what people think when they see him mowing, tilting, mowing...? Unfortunately I don't have a real answer for it. Mowers will typically run differently when tilted to one side or the other because it affects carb float level. Maybe you have a sticking float. Pick up the carb side and drop it from about 6" to see if that jars it loose. You should be using a fuel additive if you're using Ethanol-blended gas. Some stabilizers are made for Ethanol fuels and also help clean the fuel system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here