Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobthemowerman1

john deere sabre no start

Bobthemowerman1
11 years ago

hello,

i have a john deere sabre 38 inch deck 15.5 horse power engine. i recently had to install a new starter switch, due to a terminal rotting off the old one.. the problem i am having is that the terminals do not have the numbers matching up in the same spot. the letters on each terminal are in differnt locations. i matched each wire up with the letter it was on from the old switch so nothing would change. it will crank but gets no spark! i tried switching the wiring so it was installed the same as on the old switch and diregaured the lettering and it popped a main power fuse.

any help would be extremely helpful.

thank you in advance,

Bob

Comments (8)

• bill_kapaun
    11 years ago

Unbelievable!
    From your post in the tractors forum-
    "I have a john deere sabre 38 15.5 hp. roughly a 2002 model year. I had to replace the starter switch due to a terminal that rotted off of it. however now the mower will only crank and not start... NO SPARK! i double checked the letters on the back of the started switch and all the wires are matched up correctly to what they where before.. any ideas for me? i replaced the starter switch with one from stens.. mtd part number 925-02679. any help would be great!"

Not exactly the same thing!

You expect different answers in this forum?

• Bobthemowerman1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

went to john deere and got a switch from them today and installed it switch is identical to the original one. everything is wired the original way. cranks but no spark... disconnected the grounding wire off the coil and it fires right up. whats the deal with this thing??? :( should have bought a real john deere i guess.

• ll48
    11 years ago

Many switches look exactly the same, even take the same key; however, they don't all work the same way electrically. Did they match the switch part number with your tractor serial number?

• Dafasha
    10 years ago

I have a 1542 HS Sabre. Trying to start it and only get a click like the bendix will not engage. Now, new battery, new starter and same click! any suggestions?

• bill_kapaun
    10 years ago

Jumper the 2 large studs on the starter solenoid.
    If the engine cranks, the solenoid is bad.

If it still clicks, you have either-
    1. A bad connection in the starter circuit-
    Clean cable connections including grounds. make sure engine mount bolts are tight.

2. Engine is locked up-
    Remove spark plug and see if it cranks.

3. Bad battery-
    Get it charged and LOAD tested.
    Even new batteries can be bad.

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Solenoid clicking but not making contact? Follow the + battery lead to find it.

• Dafasha
    10 years ago

Thanks Guys! All fixed. A little pissed at the engineers who designed the assembly. Fasteners from underneath, took me an hour to get it off and five minutes to replace it from the top!

• tomplum
    10 years ago

Ah, a Sabre with the solenoid behind the RR wheel. Yep, I've had that same discussion w/ the engineers. How ever it goes together quicker on the assembly line....