Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zirconx

How much oil goes in my toro mower (Kohler engine)

zirconx
12 years ago

I just bought a used toro push mower, its less than a year old. It has a Kohler engine on it, and the seller gave me the manual for that engine.

The manual lists 3 models on the cover, and the specifications section is broken down for those 3 models: XT-6, XT-7, and XTR-7. The problem is none of those numbers are on the engine! On the little service tag it says SPEC:XT173-0073. I am guessing this means its an XT-7? Both the XT-7 and the XTR-7 take 1.4 quarts. The XT-6 takes 1.1 quarts.

So I drained the oil by tipping over the engine. I held it tipped over at a 90 degree angle until the oil stopped flowing out. Then I poured in 1 qt. It should need almost half a quart more, right? So I poured in maybe a 10th or an 8th of the next quart I had, and checked the oil - its *way* overfull. I turned the engine over slowly to make sure the oil is everywhere inside the engine (probably not necessary on this 'splash' lubricated engine) and checked again. Way overfull. So I tipped the mower again and poured some out, I have no idea how much, it looked like a few oz. The oil measured lower now but still overfull.

So I got a helper and tipped the mower again, this time pouring the oil into a clear cup. I poured what looks like 4-6oz into the cup. Now the dipstick reads almost correct, still just a little high but I think its ok.

I'm almost positive I've taken enough oil out so that there is less than 1qt in the mower now.

How much is it supposed to take? Thanks for any help. Below is a picture of the tag on the engine. Clickable for a larger view.

{{gwi:134157}}

Comments (6)