Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman/B&S Mower Died, Won't Restart

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago area (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 17:56

I have an older Craftsman Mower with a B&S engine, model # 917-387400.

I was cutting the grass yesterday with it on a 90 degree day. the grass was pretty thick, so periodically, when the mower started to chug, I'd lift it up and the cut grass would blow out from under the body and it would speed up again.

At one point, it started to chug, and I lifted it up, and it just died quickly even though I had lifted it up. No smoke, flame, oil spitting or anything exciting. It wouldn't restart.

Checking it out, I noticed that I could spin the blade pretty easily by hand, and removing the spark plug I confirmed with my finger over the hole that there was no compression. I used a wooden dowel to confirm that the piston was going up and down.

Before I tear into it (I'm used to car and motorcycle engines), I'm wondering if there's something simple I should check, a "compression lock" or something else?

I'd rather fix this if it's cheap/easy enough as most all the mowers I see for sale are the self-propelled variety, which I don't want.

Thanks guys!

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman/B&S Mower Died, Won't Restart

Check the compression again.
Possibly, if you had a valve that didn't have enough clearance, it could expand with the heat and not seal.

o

Thanks, Bill.

The first time I checked the compression was this morning, and then I checked it again this afternoon, and still no compression. The blade turns equally easy with my finger or a spark plug in the hole, or with nothing in the hole. The piston does go up and down.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

vince

o

from your comments, the piston is working, but there is no compression. According to the sears site, this is a 12H802.

One possibility is the intake valve is stuck open. The valve stem is exposed to the incoming fuel air mixture. When ethanol fuel is used, a film of fuel residue may build up on the valve stem and eventually the valve seizes in the valve guide.

If this is the case, the valve should be removed so that the valve guide and the valve stem can be cleaned. This job is easy if you have the proper tools and knowledge.

Some shops will attempt to clean this by spraying carburetor cleaner on the exposed valve stem. This type repair may work for a while, but most likely the problem will recur. The full time use of fuel stabilizer is a good preventative measure. Do not keep old fuel in the fuel tank.

o

Obviously, you have a mechanical issue.
Anything from a stuck valve to the engine being completely worn out.
I'd remove the head and look for a valve stuck open.
Look for other obvious problems such as a broken piston or one that is "sloppy" in the bore.

When's the last time the cooling fins were cleaned?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Mowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here