Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homegrown55

Ryobi Ruiing Carb

homegrown55
12 years ago

This carb is on a Ryobi CS30-30" Trimmer. 2007 model. Hard to find parts for this Walbro look-alike. So I put Walbro parts in it. New fuel lines and filter, new purge bulb check valve, new on-the-carb purge bulb, new metering and pump gaskets and diaphragms. And a new needle valve. Metering lever is just below the TOP of the body. It will run, but smokes badly and BLOWS fuel out of the carburetor. Using the throttle or adjusting the mixture screws has no consequence. Of course, it eventually loads up with fuel and dies, but will run that way a few minutes. The vent in the cap is clear, but the tank pressurizes some during purgeing. Ok guys, what did I miss and How can I "unflood" this thing?

Comments (8)

• rosemallow
    12 years ago

I found this in my Zama Manual
    The other possible failure mode is leaking. If the Simple Start pump does not shut off or if the outlet check valve becomes damaged the system will leak fuel and affect the carburetor mixture settings.
    1) Is the pulse being shut off? It takes a very small amount of pulse to operate the pump. Make certain the levers controlling the simple start pulse are correctly positioned to completely shut off the pulse in the run mode.
    2) Is the outlet check valve working? Again test the outlet check valve with a piece of primer hose. Gently blow through the check valve by month or with a carburetor pressure tester. The outlet check valve should offer resistance to airflow.
    If the outlet check valve is sticking open, it can be cleaned with a spray carburetor cleaner. If cleaning does not fix it, replace the start pump body.
    Also there is a setting for the float,which is tricky.

• homegrown55
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have read the Zama tech guide and seen the probable causes for a flooding carb. I don't think the Ruiing carb is like the Zama carb with the Simple Start System. I did not find the welch plug leaking, but I do think the main nozzle check valve may be stuck or damaged, but that doesn't normally cause severe flooding. I understand that a main nozzle check valve that is leaking can cause the engine to die lean at an idle. I am going to recheck the metering lever height and the positioning of the metering lever diaphragm.

• homegrown55
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those that care about the outcome, or want to work on those Ruiings...I tweaked the L and H mixture screws some more, checked the integrity of the 2 year old metering diaphragm. I then checked over all bolts and gaskets for any possible leaks. This little 30cc machine is NOW running like no tomorrow! It pops first pull when choked, and then starts running first pull off of choke immediately thereafter. Can't do better than that. I do realize that sometimes you get lucky but I have been fooling with this thing for quite sometime. It runs great, has lots of power and shows that even WITHOUT a factory rebuild kit, these things can be made to run! There is an identical unit just like it arrived on my work bench today for repair (it's my hobby). Oh yeah! (patience is a virtue here)

• jerrymc
    11 years ago

This is my first encounter with the ruiiing carb but I appreciate all the input from homegrown55 concerning comparisons to Zama & Walbro.I'm working on a Ryobi S430 today and will certainly utilize this valuable information. Thanks again !!!

• homegrown55
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jerrymc.....that is why we are here I presume...to live and learn. May I wish you great success in your endeavors with these diaphragm carburetors. They are VERY temperamental.Oh, and never use ANY strong solvents or high PSI compressed air on them as you can EASILY damage the sensitive little check-valves within making the carb malfunction and NOT work properly!

• evdpgh
    11 years ago

Any problem with a Ryobi is usually easy to fix. Throw or give it away.

• mdstamen
    8 years ago

Well, the Rui ing carburetor for the ryobi works excellent.

They are cheap but, you need to purchase a pac man tool to adjust it.

The ones on Ebay have the choke set with the gas. So, if you choke it the gas is opened 1/4. This is a good idea. You will loose the 1/2 choke setting, but that is not necessary anymore.

BTW they cost app $6 shipped. It comes with a gasket for the intake and the air filter.

I have installed 5 of these and I am impressed. If you do not like the choke setting the gas valve you can remove the lever on the gas valve.

You can change the yellow lever, but you need to be careful not to break it.

Most flooding is done by pressing the primer too many times. A flooded 2 cycle is almost impossible to start.