Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milo2000

Robin engine - true pressure lubrication or just filtered splash

milo2000
14 years ago

I would like to know if my Robin EH18 has true full pressure lubrication or is it just filtered and then the typical splash type lubrication. thanks

Comments (10)

• roadbike
    14 years ago

I would think that it would be quite difficult to drive motor oil through an external filter if the only pressure was from the crankshaft dipper. Have you asked the manufacturer?

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

RB; he asked that because the ones with an oil filter actually do have some kind of little pump to move the oil through the filter, but it's still not pressure lube to the rod journal.

• walt2002
    14 years ago

"RB; he asked that because the ones with an oil filter actually do have some kind of little pump to move the oil through the filter, but it's still not pressure lube to the rod journal."

Yah, probably 90% of B&S engines fool even experienced people by hanging a filter on the side of the engine.

Walt Conner

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

But, I'll admit that I don't know about the Robin. My speculation is that there is no push mower engine with oil filter that has oil passages in the block and crank.

• dpunisher
    14 years ago

It is a filtered splash system. Robin has the service manual for it on their website if you are interested in how it is put together.

• milo2000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So is there much benefit of having the filter if it is not true full pressure lubrication. It cleans the oil but other than that the engine is not really getting the pressurized lube advantage.

• roadbike
    14 years ago

Pressurized lubrication and oil filtration are two independent processes. An engine can be designed to run with only one. Running oil through a filter will remove some of the contamination regardless of the way in which oil is moved from sump to bearing surfaces.

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

I think it's better than not having a filter. I don't own one with a filter, but if I did, and considering I use very expensive oil, I would feel better about leaving the oil in longer. Really, though, the main thing for me would simply be the coolness factor in having that filter to play with. Of all the engines I own, including cars and trucks, the lawn mowers have to be the ones most likely to get abrasive particles in the oil, which is the primary reason for changing the oil.

• marvinlee
    10 years ago

The Kawasaki FJ180V KAI⢠engine has a pressurized lubrication system according to its engine brochure. See at www.kawpower.com Page 23.

• hippy
    10 years ago

Your ROBIN SUBARU engine has TWO OIL PUMPS. An Inner and an Outer.

Yes it is full pressure and filtered and it does not have a oil slinger/dipper.